PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with aphids

Eleven11
03-12-2012, 09:55 AM
The ladybugs should be here today but I figured I'd look around the yard for some Mantis egg sacs. I found 2 but I'm not sure if they have already hatched. Does anyone know if it's even possible to tell? They both look to be in pretty good shape but I have no idea what they look like after the young have hatched.

[attachment=1:78nbnkm3]3.12.12 Mantis eggs.JPG[/attachment:78nbnkm3]

LadyBugs arrived:
[attachment=0:78nbnkm3]3.12.12 Ladybug.JPG[/attachment:78nbnkm3]

alex281
03-13-2012, 01:34 AM
the stupid eggplant i bought from hope depot was riddled with aphids, good thing a natural supply of lady bugs took care of it before it spread!

as for the mantis eggs, im pretty sure they didn't hatch, i believe you will see the holes. also, you will definitely see some around if it did hatch! check to see if there are any dead ones below it as some die while trying to escape from weakness.

Eleven11
03-13-2012, 06:10 AM
No sign of any dead mantis young... I set the egg sacs in the grow beds to see what happens next.

Back to the ladybugs, I had no idea how thirsty they get. My plan to let only a few out at a time didn't go well so they all got release at once. At first they were running around like crazy but after they found the water, they seemed to calm right down and settle in.

the aphids are getting scarce now.

Bioritize
03-13-2012, 07:43 AM
I hear that you can get lots of mantis' out of one egg sac. Typically takes 2 - 8 weeks to hatch.

Jeff
03-13-2012, 08:14 AM
I have heard that praying mantis will eat ladybugs. I wonder if one is going to dominate over the other? I suppose as long as the pests are taken care of, then it's all good.

alex281
03-13-2012, 11:28 AM
I have heard that praying mantis will eat ladybugs. I wonder if one is going to dominate over the other? I suppose as long as the pests are taken care of, then it's all good.

The mantis will literally kill anything that doesn't eat it first. they even eat humming birds!

however at a young age the diet will be mostly aphids. it will be sometime before they start eating lady bugs.

I hear that you can get lots of mantis' out of one egg sac. Typically takes 2 - 8 weeks to hatch.
Typically about 100-200. but most will eat each other at the spawn site and others will not be able to break free without dying.

Eleven11
03-13-2012, 06:55 PM
Here's a nice little documentary clip of the mantis life cycle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urk-_Uh2vbg

Eleven11
03-14-2012, 07:26 AM
Update:

The last place a heavy infestation is clear today. I feel bad because I have a greenhouse full of lady bugs and it appears that the cupboard is bare. I found a mum outside that seems to have an aphid problem and brought that in.

Oh well, hopefully they'll like the neighborhood around here.

[attachment=0:kytaxlvg]3.12.12 Ladybug luv.JPG[/attachment:kytaxlvg]

keith_r
03-14-2012, 09:01 AM
do you have any dill growing? i took a dill cutting last year and stuck it in one of the gb's in the basement, within a couple days there were several sets of ladybug eggs on it (i had put the ladybugs in the basement with the system)..
marigolds will attract beneficial insects as well

Eleven11
03-14-2012, 09:27 AM
No dill or marigolds growing yet. One thing about ladybugs though... they are the horny bugs I've ever seen.

Looking around a bit more, there are still a few aphids visible... probably more that I can't see.

do you have any dill growing? i took a dill cutting last year and stuck it in one of the gb's in the basement, within a couple days there were several sets of ladybug eggs on it (i had put the ladybugs in the basement with the system)..
marigolds will attract beneficial insects as well