PDA

View Full Version : fill and drain for the vertically chalenged?

mango matto
03-11-2012, 12:25 PM
I am setting up my system this weekend. I want to do a fill and drain system but we are a on the short side and using an IBC tank .That puts our grow beds at eye level. I want to keep the grow beds as low as possible, does that leave me no choice but to use a sump system? I wanted to use a pond pump that I already have. is there any way to make a simple float switch for a pond pump or do I need to buy a sump pump with a float switch?
Thanks
Mango Matto

bcotton
03-11-2012, 06:18 PM
I am not sure i am picturing your design needs very well a picture or drawing would help. I see nothing wrong with a sump system/. Ideally the sump would hold enough water that you wouldnt need a float switch.

If you are going to use a sump pump, research your pump before buying. Many sump pumps are not intended for constant use.

You can user your pond pump. If you are worried about the water level getting too low you can add a float switch. I had good results with the Basement Watchdog float switch from sears (~$40).

brian

mango matto
03-11-2012, 06:48 PM
Thanks for your reply I'll post some pictures tomorrow. It got dark on me before I was able to take any.