PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan

R.M. Bartlett
03-05-2012, 01:52 PM
Hello,

I have recently become interested in Aquaponics. My wife and I are looking at using Travis Hughey's system as a starter unit in our basement.

Mike

keith_r
03-05-2012, 02:36 PM
i started with travis' barrelponics.. i think it's awesome, even moved mine into the basement after the first summer.. if i had it to do over, i'd do away with the flush tank, it's nice, and does the job, the top tank acts like a setting tank.. but i've had quite a few of the steel leaders break (the line that pulls the flush valve up, connected to the bottle)
external loop siphons are good for a half barrel gb..

commander
03-05-2012, 02:39 PM
My first system is based on Travis' barrelponics design. However, I used bell siphons in the grow beds and did away with the undergravel drain. I also replaced the upper tank with a swirl filter half filled with polyester filter media. I think it simplified the system even more and makes it more adaptable.

R.M. Bartlett
03-05-2012, 02:41 PM
Thanks. I'll look into this. I figure Travis' system is a good learning system.

davidstcldfl
03-05-2012, 02:52 PM
Hi Mike, welcome to the forum.... :)

Jeff
03-07-2012, 06:55 PM
I just wanted to welcome you to the forums. I'm new here too, but this place is full of so many helpful people and useful information. I look forward to seeing how your system comes along!

keith_r
03-08-2012, 06:35 AM
regarding the siphons, i only bring up the external siphons because with barrels, you're already limited in your growing area.. an external siphon saves a little bit of valuable real estate in the gb.. use a 4" drainage tile cut in half to provide an opening so that you can clear roots out when they make there way to the drain

urbanfarmer
03-08-2012, 06:44 AM
Greetings Earthling, and welcome to the addiction! :mrgreen:

commander
03-08-2012, 07:33 AM
I agree that the bell siphons take up a lot of room. Since I use the blue barrel system as a test bed, I am not to worried about the loss of space. I can always add an additional grow bed if I want more planting space. Right now I am experimenting with a swirl filter built into a 35 gallon plastic barrel. Seems to be work well and has given the system some temperature stability with the additional water volume.

R.M. Bartlett
03-13-2012, 05:36 PM
Thanks all for the advice and the words of welcome. :D