PDA

View Full Version : Duck Weed

commander
03-05-2012, 08:31 AM
I couldn't find any place else to post this.

Does anyone have a source for clean, pest free, duck weed? I can get it from some ponds around here but since they are all stagnant, I am afraid of transporting some nasties into my system.

keith_r
03-05-2012, 08:33 AM
trickers pond supply will ship, but it may have snails..
i've seen it on ebay as well..

alex281
03-05-2012, 05:39 PM
I got mine off eBay! its was pest free but I stopped using it long ago as all it did was find its way into my pump and in my grow bed.

bsfman
03-05-2012, 05:59 PM
I couldn't find any place else to post this.

Does anyone have a source for clean, pest free, duck weed? I can get it from some ponds around here but since they are all stagnant, I am afraid of transporting some nasties into my system.

You could try quarantining the locally harvested duckweed in a wading pool or large tote to get it started. After a couple of weeks you could tell if you imported snails with it. You could probably even disinfect a sample of it in a very weak bleach solution and after thorough rinsing, use the disinfected sample to propagate a new colony of duckweed.

commander
03-05-2012, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the ideas. I have found a source at the local university where one of the civil engineering profs is running an aquaponics system as a test bed for the treatment of waste water from cattle feedlot operations. He has offered starters of all of his duckweed and other aquatic plants.