PDA

View Full Version : Reverse Osmosis question

Jeff
03-03-2012, 04:11 PM
Let the newbie questions begin!

When setting up a new system, is it OK to use tap water as long as you let the system cycle for around 14 days? Does the cycling process itself condition the water so that it's safe?

The reason why I ask is because another guy that I follow on YouTube said that he made the mistake of using tap water in his system and it killed his fish due to the chemicals. Now, I don't know if he was "topping off" his already existing system, but that made me wonder about this question.

Since I don't have an RO system, what is the best thing to do, assuming that I have a brand new aquaponic setup with NO FISH and NO PLANTS......just plumbing and grow beds filled with media. Do I cycle for 2 weeks WITHOUT plants? Or do I cycle for 2 weeks WITH PLANTS while keeping an eye on the water tests (adding ammonia if needed, etc)?

davidstcldfl
03-04-2012, 12:29 AM
Hi Jeff, Check out this topic on sodium ascorbate, which will break down the chlorine and chlormines....
removing chlorine from tap water with Vitamin C? (http://www.diyaquaponics.com/forum/showthread.php?118-removing-chlorine-from-tap-water-with-Vitamin-C)

You can cycle without fish, if your providing a source of ammonia. There is no set time on how long it takes to 'cycle'.....it could be in a few weeks, or as long as a few months.

I don't know if you started to read Oliver's posts in his Aquaponics 101 series...'?' Part 4 should answer most of your questions.

Eleven11
03-04-2012, 07:21 AM
I did chlorine tests of the tap water before and after being filtered with a large filter from Home Depot and a smaller Pur filter.

The unfiltered water would read from 3 to 8 pmm but the water after filtering with either filter would read zero. I have used filtered water in my system with no problems. The taste of the water before and after is obvious as well.

I just bought the large Home Depot filter last night and adapted it to my garden hose to make topping off much easier. The filter says it will filter 20,000 gallons and cost $30.

Good link David :)

Jeff
03-04-2012, 10:21 AM
David - Thanks for the reply. I had started to read Oliver's posts, but I may read it again. It's one of those things where, as a beginner, you may read something and it all make sense in that moment......but then when you actually start to DO the things you read, you end up forgetting everything and start all over again. I'm one of those guys where once I do something, I never need to be shown again. It's just getting out there and doing it ONCE that I have to get out of the way first!

And Eleven11, I think that's a great idea using a filter. It may not be as neutral as RO water, but it sure has to help get things in the right direction as opposed to just using unfiltered tap water into the system. At least that's my take on it.

I wonder if anyone else here has used a filter on the end of their hose to top off or fill up a system.

urbanfarmer
03-04-2012, 06:41 PM
Most of us use tap water.

Tilapia are not sensitive to the levels of chlorine in tap water found in the United States (set at the Federal level by the EPA).

I have found that goldfish, sunfish, blue gill, and a few others I can't remember die from the fresh tap chlorine concentration from my water.

Basil1
03-07-2012, 10:26 AM
I looked at those various filters and they all say reduces chlorine or even just reduces taste and smell of it. Nothing on them about removing chloramine, which is what I have. Anyone know any thing different about them?

vermiman
03-07-2012, 11:15 AM
Have you thought about collecting rain water to initially set up your system.

David - WI
03-07-2012, 11:20 AM
I looked at those various filters and they all say reduces chlorine or even just reduces taste and smell of it. Nothing on them about removing chloramine, which is what I have. Anyone know any thing different about them?

There are Vitamin C cartridges & tablets that claim to neutralize chloramine, google "VitaBath" or "VitaShower"

Effervescent vitamin C dechlorination tablets are comprised of ascorbic acid, citric acid and sodium bicarbonate. This powerful formula is designed to neutralize chlorine and chloramines in in hot tub or spas. As Vitabath dissolves, the vitamin C will become effervescent and begin to fizz. One Vitabath effervescent tablet is able to neutralize 1 ppm chlorine and chloramines in 100 gallons of water and completely eliminate the dry itchy skin caused by chlorine in your hot tub or spas.

Eleven11
03-07-2012, 11:23 AM
How do you know for sure how much chloramine you have?

A simple faucet or under the counter tap water drinking carbon type filter can be used, but the unit must contain high quality carbon, and unless the water is allowed sufficient contact time, it may not be completely effective. Also, chloramines can exhaust carbon much faster than chlorine alone, and therefore filter cartridges need to be replaced more often.

Basil1
03-07-2012, 11:45 AM
Have you thought about collecting rain water to initially set up your system.

Looking to easily and quickly do topoffs, not starting the system. I do collect rain water, but need it to actually start raining to do so.

Basil1
03-07-2012, 11:55 AM
Unless of course it still removes the chlorine and the ammonia should be able to be dealt with by the bacteria.

Eleven11
03-07-2012, 08:04 PM
This is very close to the one I bought except mine came with adapter hoses:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-25ecodZ ... reId=10051 (http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-25ecodZ5yc1v/R-100678548/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=water%20filter&storeId=10051)

Basil1
03-08-2012, 04:58 AM
I looked at that one but all it says is reduces chlorine and odors.

urbanfarmer
03-08-2012, 06:31 AM
The specification details that it's "Carbon-spun fiber filtration system", which would have been my first guess (since it is so cheap).

It is designed to remove chlorine from tap water. As you may know, this sets a design criteria of removing less than 4 ppm of chlorine from the tap water. This is such a small amount, it might just last for 5 years or 20,000 gallons. Tap water is very clean in just about every part of the United States (often cleaner than bottled water people buy in the store). Anyway, my point is there's not much for the filter to do; so, it might just work as expected.

We are fortunate to live in a country where we only have to worry about the taste of our water and not the safety, regularity, or price of our water.

urbanfarmer
03-08-2012, 06:40 AM
Carbon filters remove chloramine.

However, go buy a bottle of vitamin C (ascorbic acid) for $1 at Wally-World or the dollar store or drug store. Tell me how much water you have or just finely crush up the whole bottle and dump it in. Wait a few days and VIOLA, no more chloramine.

You can always do a chlorine test after to make sure or drop 1 fish in to see if it dies. Don't over think it, it's not that complicated I promise! :mrgreen:

Eleven11
03-08-2012, 08:28 AM
In my experiment using the OTO test, it reduced the chlorine to zero whereas before the filtration, it was easily 8 ppm.

That's enough reduction for me.

I looked at that one but all it says is reduces chlorine and odors.

Basil1
03-08-2012, 08:33 AM
In my experiment using the OTO test, it reduced the chlorine to zero whereas before the filtration, it was easily 8 ppm.

That sounds good, but how long did it take to get to that level?

Eleven11
03-08-2012, 08:41 AM
I mean it comes out of the end of the filter reading zero. What do you mean, how long did it take?

The flow rate out was adjustable since I put a ball valve on the end of the garden hose. I set the flow to come out at a reasonable quick rate... much faster than the PUR sink filter. It could have been set to jet out of the filter but I figured slower is better.

Basil1
03-08-2012, 08:47 AM
I mean it comes out of the end of the filter reading zero. What do you mean, how long did it take?

The flow rate out was adjustable since I put a ball valve on the end of the garden hose. I set the flow to come out at a reasonable quick rate... much faster than the PUR sink filter. It could have been set to jet out of the filter but I figured slower is better.

Thanks, will have to look at those again.

urbanfarmer
03-08-2012, 03:11 PM

8 PPM ???

Eleven11
03-08-2012, 06:51 PM
I thought it was pretty high too.

Eleven11
03-09-2012, 07:29 AM
I took another chlorine test of the unfiltered tap water from the hose.

The first test I did was in the dome looking at the vile under fluorescent light. Maybe it caused it to look more yellow... not sure now. Light intensity is always a problem with these color tests. Now that it's daylight outside, the results look more like 4 PPM.

The filtered water is clear (0 PPM) which is/was my real concern.

urbanfarmer
03-09-2012, 02:38 PM
Ah, makes more sense! Cheap chlorine tests are cheap! :lol: