PDA

View Full Version : Seedlings growing very slow

Eleven11
02-27-2012, 02:25 PM
Maybe it's the time of year, I'm not sure but I've been having problems growing seedlings. The latest experiment is Romaine and some carrots. Here are some pics.... these are probably 3 or 4 weeks old. They sit in a southern facing window getting full sun when available and the inside temp of the house is usually around 70F. They get watered when the soil looks like it needs it.

I'm not sure what to think. The last batch of Romaine was not much better than this so it was a pain to transplant to the growbeds but they grew ok. I added a recent pic of the lettuce that was transplanted the first part of January.

My next experiment will be planting seed directly in the grow beds.

[attachment=2:17jcg4ja]Romaine seedling.JPG[/attachment:17jcg4ja]
[attachment=1:17jcg4ja]Romaine seedling 2.JPG[/attachment:17jcg4ja]
[attachment=0:17jcg4ja]2.22.12 Growbed 3.2.JPG[/attachment:17jcg4ja]

dead_sled
02-27-2012, 02:56 PM
Looks like they are not getting enough light.

Eleven11
02-27-2012, 03:06 PM
You would think but they get blasted by direct sun whenever it's out.

urbanfarmer
02-27-2012, 05:05 PM
This is exactly right.

In a commercial operation, the seedlings you have would be culled and discarded. They will yield poorly and/or slowly.

If you don't want to replant, you can use them (sounds like you are getting a head start on the growing season). Supplement their light with some other light, maybe a CFL or something simple. A little extra goes a long way. Add the light during normal daylight so it is an additive effect.

Eleven11
02-27-2012, 08:10 PM
Hmmm okay, I'll try it.

Which temp CFL do you think? I have 6500 K's.

Is the romaine suppose to grow long and skinny like that? The leaves develop on the end so the whole stringy stem has to be buried when transplanted, which is a pain. It would be nice if the leaves just pop up out of the dirt and start forming the romaine head.

alex281
02-28-2012, 01:48 AM
Hmmm okay, I'll try it.

Which temp CFL do you think? I have 6500 K's.

Is the romaine suppose to grow long and skinny like that? The leaves develop on the end so the whole stringy stem has to be buried when transplanted, which is a pain. It would be nice if the leaves just pop up out of the dirt and start forming the romaine head.

6500k is the best for veg, however the cfl is probably one of the slowest forms of light(in terms of growth) so i doubt switching to that would help.you would be better of if you use it as a supplemental for a couple hours after the sun goes down.

davidstcldfl
02-28-2012, 04:33 AM
Try a small oscilating fan near them. It'll aid in developing the stems strength.

dead_sled
02-28-2012, 09:00 AM

They seedlings are long and skinny because they are reaching for more light. Its happened to me before. :(

Eleven11
02-28-2012, 10:04 AM
Thanks for the input fellas.