PDA

View Full Version : New member that doesn't know anything about aquaponics.

vermiman
02-23-2012, 07:36 PM
I am someone that has just gotten interested in aquaponics. I'd like to know how to go a cheap & easy DIY route. I do raise redworms and BSFL. What type of fish will eat this type of food. I've seen a video where someone uses sink spray hose guides for bulk head fittings. Is that good or bad? What is the best substrate for the growbed? Is it practicle to use a solar battery setup to run the water pump? And is a biofilter needed in a small system? Sorry for so many questions.

alex281
02-23-2012, 09:01 PM
Hi there and welcome!

For an absolute beginner i recommend you read this!
viewforum.php?f=112 (http://diyaquaponics.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=112)

it has loads of explanation and is a great write up.

As for the other questions.

its better to find a fish better suited for your climate. not sure about what eats bsfl or not, im just a goldfish user

i wouldnt use the hose unless i know its food safe. other than that as long as it doesnt leak im sure it would be fine.

the substrate depends on preference. i use gravel as it was cheap and works fine for me.

Solar is an investment that will eventually pay itself off. depends if you want to put the money all at once for it really..as for practicality that depends on your climate.(is it always sunny?)

A biofilter may or may not be needed. it also depends on what type of system you are using.(See guide for info)

There is a link to my system at the bottom of my post. all in all it was cheap and works great. ibc totes are great to use to! how much space are you willing to use?

vermiman
02-23-2012, 09:23 PM
My climate.. well it's central Arkansas. Mostly mild winters and pretty hot summers some times. I'd like to raise edible food in the growbed and edible fish in the aquarium. We do have a large back yard. But I was wanting to start small. But I'd like to be able to expand if possible. Is it possible to connect two aquariums with a pipe near the bottom and use one water pump? Or can you connect two grow beds and use only one bell siphon?

I am going to read the "Aquaponics 101 by Oliver". Thanks for the link..

davidstcldfl
02-24-2012, 04:09 AM
Hi vermiman, welcome to the forum.... :D

keith_r
02-24-2012, 06:21 AM
reading oliver's posts will answer lots of questions,
in arkansas you can get a pretty good variety of fish from pond stockers, for a small beginner system a few bluegill would be good to get your feet wet with..they will eat just about anything!
as far as media, river gravel is good and inexepensive, just avoid media with limestone - you can test the media by putting a little bit in a cup with vinegar, if it bubbles, it will keep your ph high and isn't good to use..
i use threaded pvc "electric" couplings for bulkheads..

urbanfarmer
02-24-2012, 06:36 AM
Greetings Earthling, and welcome to the addiction! :mrgreen:

vermiman
02-24-2012, 04:07 PM
reading oliver's posts will answer lots of questions,
in arkansas you can get a pretty good variety of fish from pond stockers, for a small beginner system a few bluegill would be good to get your feet wet with..they will eat just about anything!
as far as media, river gravel is good and inexepensive, just avoid media with limestone - you can test the media by putting a little bit in a cup with vinegar, if it bubbles, it will keep your ph high and isn't good to use..
i use threaded pvc "electric" couplings for bulkheads..

I went to the local hardware store and their electrical couplings seem to have a tapered thread. I'm trying to contruct a growbed and bell siphon. But I must figure out the bulkhead first. Has anyone heard of the loop siphon?

keith_r
02-25-2012, 09:12 AM
check home depot or loews in the conduit section, the gray pvc couplings they have do not have tapered threads..
loop siphons are ok, as are affnan, just make sure you can get to the piping that you'll have to clear out when roots get to it

barbhines2010
02-26-2012, 11:41 AM
I built a bell siphon from PVC pipe to use in my system.....I found that I needed to have about an inch of diameter difference between my bell cap & my standing pipe......to create the best siphon ..

The best media to use is clay pellet ...however, very pricey in these parts, when you are talking about 2 decent sized grow beds...I used 1" washed granite gravel.....10" deep in the growbed (weighty but serviceable)...

I found a variety of good info just surfing around.......the hobby has been popular in New Zealand for some time.....