PDA

View Full Version : Why are tomato plants wilting?

Basil1
02-22-2012, 09:43 AM
Suddenly started drooping and some leaves drying up. A few tomatoes have fallen off. There has not been any severe weather recently and still have nitrate readings so not starving, unless for some other mineral. Tomatoes are being very slow to ripen if at all. Same variety planted in ground and watered is producing well.

bcotton
02-22-2012, 11:24 AM
When tomatoes are ready to fruit they start using a lot less nitrates and a lot more phosphorus. Aquaponics is notoriously low in phosphates. You can add a supplement or what I do is just limit the number of fruiting plants in my system.

This is just a guess. If you can swing a picture there's guys on the forum that can tell you exactly what the issue is.

brian

urbanfarmer
02-22-2012, 02:50 PM
When tomatoes are ready to fruit they start using a lot less nitrates and a lot more phosphorus. Aquaponics is notoriously low in phosphates. You can add a supplement or what I do is just limit the number of fruiting plants in my system.

This is just a guess. If you can swing a picture there's guys on the forum that can tell you exactly what the issue is.

brian
Sounds like a lot is expected from this guy. No pressure! :lol:

bcotton
02-22-2012, 03:51 PM
heh, yeah, rereading my post maybe the word "exactly" is too strong, but a picture can definitely help narrow it down.

brian

dead_sled
02-23-2012, 08:02 AM
Just to preface this post, I am a newb. ;) I am under the impression that phosphorus is usually at sufficient levels in ap systems. I read that fish waste breaks down to the NPK ratio of 20:20:1. Seems like sufficient phos. http://www.aps.uoguelph.ca/~aquacentre/files/research-publications/Chemical%20Composition%20of%20Trout%20Manure.PDF

Basil1, do you have worms in the grow beds to speed up the break down off solid waste? Have you tested the phosphorus levels? Could be a ph level problem, also

You need to repost your hyperlink above...it goes nowhere JCO :mrgreen:

Basil1
02-23-2012, 12:48 PM
[attachment=0:smt070up]20120223_140521.jpg[/attachment:smt070up] [attachment=1:smt070up]20120223_140455.jpg[/attachment:smt070up]

Here are the pics, tell me "exactly" what's wrong. :D

Basil1
02-23-2012, 12:50 PM
Basil1, do you have worms in the grow beds to speed up the break down off solid waste? Have you tested the phosphorus levels? Could be a ph level problem, also

No, no and don't think so.

dead_sled
02-23-2012, 02:04 PM
Just to preface this post, I am a newb. ;) I am under the impression that phosphorus is usually at sufficient levels in ap systems. I read that fish waste breaks down to the NPK ratio of 20:20:1. Seems like sufficient phos. http://www.aps.uoguelph.ca/~aquacentre/files/research-publications/Chemical%20Composition%20of%20Trout%20Manure.PDF

You need to repost your hyperlink above...it goes nowhere JCO :mrgreen:

New link: http://www.aps.uoguelph.ca/aquacentre/files/research-publications/OSAWG%20Report%202%20Fecal%20Waste%20Chemical%20Co mposition%20(Jun2007).pdf

urbanfarmer
02-23-2012, 02:58 PM
I SEE IRON, CALCIUM, AND POTASSIUM DEFICIENCIES.

Does that plant get enough light? Obviously it's a picture; so, it's too hard to tell, but from the color and the thinness it looks like it's not getting enough light at first glance. It's extremely hard to tell with those pictures. We are of course ruling out any other possible environmental factors, pest, or disease for this diagnosis.

The older tomato leaf on the top right shows a potassium deficiency.

The younger tomato leaf in the foreground shows calcium deficiency.

The sweet potato looking leaf on the bottom left shows iron deficiency.

Can I get a better picture? :-)

bcotton
02-23-2012, 10:52 PM
@dead_sled, I didnt say there were no phosphorous in aquaponics, mineralization is great and all, but you are going to be able to support a lot more vegatative growth than flowering/fruiting.

@urbanafarmer, never ceases to amaze.

@basil, dead_sled has a valid point. What is your PH? PH can cause apparent mineral deficiencies as plants absorb nutrients the best in a certain range. There's some great posts/threads on that topic already on this forum.

foodchain
03-02-2012, 06:12 AM
I have had the same problems with ALL types of tomatoes here in TX with both AP systems and in the ground systems. I have dosed with a variety of "fixes" and supplements to no result (possitive).
For the most part I have quit messing with tomatoes. I don't know why mine don't do well. But it's exactly the same as the picture.
Yet my neighbors grow theirs in dirt in old tires...no extra work, don't even water em.

Basil1
03-02-2012, 01:17 PM
Yet now I have ripened tomatoes on both AP and inground plants. Got to start being more patient.

bsfman
03-02-2012, 02:29 PM
It may relate to the type of tomatos you are growing. An experienced organic gardening buddy of mine tells me he often has issues growing "heritage" type tomatos as opposed to the hybrid varieties that have been bred for varipous types of wilt resistance.

Basil1
03-02-2012, 04:13 PM
They're a Burpee hybrid

David - WI
07-12-2013, 06:05 AM
I am under the impression that phosphorus is usually at sufficient levels in ap systems. I read that fish waste breaks down to the NPK ratio of 20:20:1.
It that's true then low potassium might be a much bigger problem than low phosphorus?

The “take home” message is that nitrogen should be balanced with potassium during the cropping season with side-dressing or fertigation in fruiting vegetable crops. A 1:1 or 1:2 ratio of nitrogen to potassium should be used depending on the crop.
http://agdev.anr.udel.edu/weeklycropupdate/?p=4279