PDA

View Full Version : Setting up NFT system...

Russian Trout 17
11-03-2011, 07:00 AM
Hey everyone! Russian Trout here, new member. So I have been working on this set up... and so far this is what I've come to. 2 tanks, each with a capacity of 956 gallons. running 11 12 foot nft's off of each tank. I cant decide weather or not to run them off separate biofilters, or simply off the same one. Also, Im having a little bit of trouble calculating how big exactly biofilter will need to be, and what kinds of pumps are best to use? Thanks all for your helpful advice in advance.

:)

Russian Trout 17
11-03-2011, 10:35 AM
or direct me to a place where i can find all these sorts of calculations..

keith_r
11-03-2011, 11:56 AM
i haven't done nft, but from what i've read, it shouldn't be too difficult, but you will definitely need some solids filtration, i don't have any calculations to figure the size, but for a 950 gallon tank, i'd probably start with a couple of 55 gallon barrels to hold media..right now, i have one 55 gallon barrel filter on a 600 gallon pool so far the water quality is ok, and it's just as a temporary fix until i get some gravel growbeds online

Russian Trout 17
11-03-2011, 05:39 PM
I was thinking a simple bead filter, kinda like on here...Home Brew Bead Filter (http://www.diyaquaponics.com/forum/showthread.php?109-Home-Brew-Bead-Filter)
its cheap and easy, but wont be good for the long run. but ill look into alternates. do you aim for 1 hr turnover off of the particular pump you run?

Russian Trout 17
11-03-2011, 06:16 PM
.....sorry for keeping on reposting. i forget. but what kind of fittings should i look at along with pipe sizes? ....im on the science part, but not on the logistics and construction..

urbanfarmer
11-03-2011, 09:09 PM
Hey everyone! Russian Trout here, new member. So I have been working on this set up... and so far this is what I've come to. 2 tanks, each with a capacity of 956 gallons. running 11 12 foot nft's off of each tank. I cant decide weather or not to run them off separate biofilters, or simply off the same one. Also, Im having a little bit of trouble calculating how big exactly biofilter will need to be, and what kinds of pumps are best to use? Thanks all for your helpful advice in advance.

:)
Well, that's the thing, the research isn't far enough along. There are some models out there that allow you to quantify the variables and calculate it accordingly, but their scope is questionable. I don't mention it on the forums, nor do I recommend most people design systems using methodologies for that model (except this one system I'm currently consulting on). The BEST advice is build it, manage the water quality and monitor the growth of your biota, and adjust from there. You have the scientific knowledge; so, experiment! These systems are simple, and you'll see the inner-workings in your mind... and then it will all just make sense (NIRVANA)! :mrgreen:

urbanfarmer
11-03-2011, 09:24 PM
i was thinking a simple bead filter, kinda like on here...Home Brew Bead Filter (http://www.diyaquaponics.com/forum/showthread.php?109-Home-Brew-Bead-Filter)
its cheap and easy, but wont be good for the longrun. but ill look into alternates. do you aim for 1 hr turnover off of the particular pump you run?
All a biofilter comes down to is surface area. You can play with concepts. For instance, the SSA of sand compared to 3/4" gravel doesn't even compared, right? So, build something out of that somehow! Just account for the hydraulic conductivity of sand under saturated conditions (K_sat) and viola! Design parameters! :mrgreen:

.....sorry for keeping on reposting. i forget. but what kind of fittings should i look at along with pipe sizes? ....im on the science part, but not on the logistics and construction..
Whatever PVC fittings you need. For 2" pipe use 2" elbow, for instance. It should all be in the same section. Just ask someone at the store wearing a vest. ;)

aquaarche
11-04-2011, 12:10 AM
seems like my mind went blank.

What is NFT's again?

keith_r
11-04-2011, 05:47 AM
nutrient film technique.. using pipe or gutters with holds to hold plants in a small amount of media with water flowing through the pipe at a couple centimeters..
dwc is deep water culture, using floating rafts

Russian Trout 17
11-16-2011, 12:01 PM
update! scratched the NFT design, just going with growbeds. length of 8 feet, width of 4... 32 cubic feet. planing on having 4 beds per 956 gallon tank. think that is enough filtration through the growing media? i feel like it is also more practical , that way more then just leafy greens may be grown.. opinions? comments? suggestions? what to expect? ive only been around/maintaining ntf systems so not too sure...