PDA

View Full Version : floating raft question

jimhebert
02-05-2012, 09:14 AM
Is it feasable to put a floating raft in the fish tank? Of course the roots would have to be protected so the fish don't eat them. All the filtering would be done on the outside of the tank, the same as any normal raft system.

Basil1
02-05-2012, 11:43 AM
I put a tupperware tub drilled with holes on one side of my fish tank. Put cups with hydroton in them and planted. Put a light above them and they grow like crazy. Depending on type of fish you may not need to protect them.

jimhebert
02-05-2012, 02:29 PM
That makes things a lot easier than having an extra grow bed to worry about, especially if you don't plan on growing too many plants. I'm hoping that doing it this way, with only a few plants to consume the nitrates and the other nutrients, that the nitrate level doesn't get too high such as to harm the fish. By the way, what is a safe nitrate level supposed to be and where can I purchase an inexpensive kit to measure nitrates, Ph, etc?

Is there any particular reason why you decided to use hydroton as a media versus just letting the roots hang like in raft beds with net pots and no media is used?

Basil1
02-05-2012, 02:45 PM
You would need something to hold the plant, it can't just sit on the water. A small bag of hydroton is what I had and it's a lot lighter than gravel. Did not have any net pots on site. Was trying to see how cheap I could do it with as many spare pieces I had laying around.

jimhebert
02-05-2012, 03:16 PM
I see. I plan on placing a trellis on the side of the tank and tieing the plant stem and branches to the trellis as the plant grows. That way the roots will just be hanging in the water.

Basil1
02-06-2012, 05:32 AM
What are you planning on growing?

Scuba Steve
02-06-2012, 08:16 AM
I see. I plan on placing a trellis on the side of the tank and tieing the plant stem and branches to the trellis as the plant grows. That way the roots will just be hanging in the water.

That's a great idea! I am definitely going to do this as well. What kind of plants are you going to use?

foodchain
02-06-2012, 09:16 AM
Why not beans or peas?

jimhebert
02-06-2012, 05:03 PM
I don't plan on growing too many things. Mostly stuff that vine or grow tall enough to tie to the trellis. Maybe a couple of tomato plants, some vining beans or peas like foodchain mentioned, a couple of okra plants, strawberries, etc. I have never tried this since this is my first AP venture. But if I see that it works well and I decide to grow more things, I may make a long, narrow, rectangular fish tank along my fence line and plant more stuff and let it vine on the fence.

keith_r
02-07-2012, 06:28 AM
you'll need some sort of solids filtration if you're floating plants in the ft.. and make sure you have extra aeration

jimhebert
02-07-2012, 04:33 PM
I plan on using a solid lifting overflow with a couple of moving bed filters and a venturi aeriator in the FT.
I won't know the exact amount/size of filters until I test the water. Better more filtration than not enough.