PDA

View Full Version : Hello

abnvette
02-02-2012, 11:55 AM
All,
Hello. I normally do not register or use forums so you all can call me a newbie if I ask a dumb "what button" questions. But I am quite impressed by the amount of information that is available on this DIY forum, so I jumped in.

A little background info: I saw a buddy's system and was pretty fascinated by both the equipment set ups and bio processes. I am a total neophyte when it comes to the understanding of bio-processing engines that are producing both the fish and garden. Most of what I know in that arena is what I read on the labels. Although as a civil engineer with quite a bit of engineer experience, (though not particularly with hydrodynamics) I love to build and tinker. So it is with blind-dumb enthusiasm that I take the plunge with little regard or understanding of the pitfalls. :shock: But nothing gained if nothing ventured, so what the hay.

About my experience: I am in the Army, currently deployed, but intend on building a small system when I return to Hawaii. Most of my engineering experience is in large scale construction, contingency construction (building with what you have on-hand), and contracting. So if someone has a construction/structural/contracting question, I may be of some help, but no warranty will be implicit on any postings or advice. I will likely need help more on the biology-side of the house, but I am not too proud to ask for help on the design aspect if necessary either. I have read quite a few subjects on the forum, some of which were very “nut & bolts” oriented and detailed, so thank you to all who have contributed. I look forward to learning more on the fundamentals and then later on the intricacies of systems.

First Question: Any systems/reputable stores in Oahu that are worth checking into?
Thanks!!
ABNVETTE

keith_r
02-02-2012, 12:11 PM
welcome! once you get started, it's hard to stop..
friendly aquaponics is in HI, but i don't know which island..read lots, and ask questions

abnvette
02-04-2012, 06:17 AM
Thanks Keith.... Wilco on the studying up, and I will post an update once I get started with some pictures.

commander
02-04-2012, 07:32 AM
Welcome from West Texas. Love the chicken

davidstcldfl
02-04-2012, 05:20 PM
Hi abnvette... :D
You might also try contacting Chris Smaith at Coastview Aquaponics (dot com). I think he is in Kona. I 'belive' they also have a free farm tour once a month.

abnvette
02-15-2012, 09:31 AM
Thanks for the contact David, I will. When I get back to Oahu I was planning on visiting the Island anyway and will just have to make a quick visit there :D . If I find a good place on Oahu I will post it for everyone.

urbanfarmer
02-20-2012, 10:00 AM
Greetings Earthling, and welcome to the addiction! :mrgreen: