PDA

View Full Version : One large fish tank or many smaller ones?

Wayneburg
02-01-2012, 08:17 PM
Hi, I'm considering a 250 gallon system as starting set up. Are there any benefits to using 5 smaller containers over one 250 gallon fish tank? Maybe the ability to quarantine or keep the younger fish separated from the older ones?

urbanfarmer
02-01-2012, 11:56 PM
It's easier to keep your harvests separated. You can tier the harvest into 5.

davidstcldfl
02-02-2012, 04:17 AM
UF is right...it'll be nice to have the extra tanks to seperate the fish. On the NEG side...more tanks, mean more PVC pipe, fittings and bulkheads to buy.

Your breeders should be in something at least 2 feet deep...so they can feel comfortable. Also make sure to cover the tanks...tilapia like to go exploring.... :roll:

Wayneburg
02-02-2012, 06:25 PM
Thanks for the input. I was already leaning towards the multiple fish tanks, you guys gave the info I needed to make the call.

Thanks

foodchain
02-03-2012, 08:11 AM
Multiple fish tanks, if buying regular aquariums is cheaper, as they are smaller. As long as they are hydrologically connected, via pvc, overflows, etc it should work fine.
I prefer bigger volumes per tank, for me....as I prefer working with bigger fish. Either way has pros and cons...biggest one is space and amount of plumbing. More parts you add, and the more seams in something the more chances of leaks, mantenance, etc.