PDA

View Full Version : From (nearby) Athens GA

abitcrunchy
01-15-2012, 08:39 PM
It took only a few minutes to discover that I love this website!!!

I'm hoping to learn to grow lettuces and herbs year round while farming fish. Can I do this inside a barn with nothing but grow lights??? We need help with ventilation so we don't have it all figured out just yet. I cannot tell you how happy I am to find this website! My husband and I both have jobs but we're determined to get this going this year! I stand in the grocery store and stare at veggies in the winter-time not wanting to buy a thing. It all looks depleted of any and all nutrients. We've got to find a way to have salads in the wintertime...and hopefully sell our extras at Locally Grown (our local co-op of farmers, chefs and customers who want the most chemical-free foods possible.). My answer to that was to have lettuce growing all winter long.

Our family is getting baby chicks soon and considering a dairy goat. We started a farm last year selling locally. Our small farm sells starter plants (still working on a license for that), veggies, figs, melons, berries, rabbits, and worm fertilizer (worm farming creates the best fertilizer).

I am so happy to be here! I can tell I'll learn a lot!

davidstcldfl
01-16-2012, 04:01 AM
Hi abitcrunchy, welcome to the forum... :D

alex281
01-16-2012, 04:38 AM
Welcome! :D

commander
01-16-2012, 09:32 AM
Hello from West Texas

abitcrunchy
01-16-2012, 06:53 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome(s)!

Today we looked at greenhouses and decided to get a small one for now. We've also decided on a 3 tier light system for indoor use. The greenhouse is large enough for a good size fish tank, I think maybe two. Shelves on both sides.

Here's a question...do I need the misting system that comes optional when I purchase the greenhouse? For aquaponic lettuce and starter plants, it's self watering all the way - right? Then we would not need the misting kits?

Thanks for your help!

keith_r
01-17-2012, 11:50 AM
imho, you don't need the misting system

unless it gets super hot, then you could use it like a "swamp cooler" type thing

you'd need a different water supply for the misters, since the fishtank water would most likely clog the misting heads

urbanfarmer
01-31-2012, 01:45 AM
Greetings Earthling, and welcome to the addiction! :mrgreen: