PDA

View Full Version : Winter greenhouse plants for ap system?

Eleven11
12-23-2011, 09:05 AM
It's winter here and the grow beds in my new system are almost ready so I called around for seedlings and not surprisingly, there are none out there at this time of year. Too bad there are no neighborhood AP'ers that I could borrow some plants from. I'd return them of course :D

So, I'm going seed hunting now.

I'm wondering what the rest of you grow in the winter time.

I have some Campari Tomato seeds to try.

I'd like to get some seed for salad veggies like, romaine lettuce, raddishes, carrots, cucumbers, etc.

davidstcldfl
12-23-2011, 12:54 PM
This is one of those questions that would be esasier to answer 'if' we knew where abouts your located.....'?' You might add at least the state your in, to your profile.

I doubt your located in FL......Yesterday, I walked through Lowes' outdoor section and they had lots of veggie plants... :D

Contact your local extension office, for help on what to grow in your area....and 'when'.

Eleven11
12-23-2011, 01:36 PM
I'm here in lovely wet and soggy Maryland where it rains, rains, rains, then it rains again... oh did I mention the rain? .... better than snow though I guess...

The Lowes' here has Christmas trees and house plants. Plenty of veggie seeds though...

urbanfarmer
12-23-2011, 03:35 PM
I have Kale, cabbage, cucumbers, beans, luffa, lettuce, peppers, and even tome tomatoes outdoors still. However, what you can plant now may be limited to nothing for your area. I imagine it's pretty cold up there. Call your extension and ask them what's good to plant in your specific area. They will know definitively.

Eleven11
12-23-2011, 04:19 PM
Ok, I'll see what I can find out.

Thanks guys

P.S. Here's a link to the Kelp Meal I was talking about:

http://www.espoma.com/p_consumer/org_trad_overview.html

Kelp Meal 1-0-2

Brown seaweed, harvested from cold waters then processed at low temperatures and dried.
An excellent soil conditioner and a rich source of minerals and plant hormones.
In 3.5 lb. bags.

urbanfarmer
12-23-2011, 07:46 PM
but, how does it taste?

Eleven11
12-23-2011, 08:17 PM
Well now that you ask..... a bit like nori.

but, how does it taste?

Eleven11
12-28-2011, 08:50 PM
List of seeds planted on December 25th :

Cucumber
Campari Tomato
Bell Pepper
Cherry Tomato
Corn "silver queen"
Sugar snap peas
Alaska peas
Green Bean (bush)
Broccoli
Sweet Basil
Lavender
Cilantro
Swiss Chard
Red Onion
Bibb Lettuce
Romaine Lettuce
Black seed Lettuce
Greens mix (more lettuce)
Radishes
Carrots

Lots of sprouts growing already.

urbanfarmer
12-29-2011, 12:34 AM
Neat. Good luck! Mind sharing what the extension said (if you talked to them)? I am curious that's all.

Eleven11
12-29-2011, 05:15 AM
I didn't get an answer when I called so I sent an email but didnt get a reply... maybe due to the holidays.

Experience is the best teacher... I'll find out myself.

So far I'm impressed with how quick they started sprouting.

Neat. Good luck! Mind sharing what the extension said (if you talked to them)? I am curious that's all.

Eleven11
12-29-2011, 10:16 AM
Here's the reply from the local Extension:

Bottom line: in a greenhouse anything grows! Short days and cool temperatures slow all the growth processes and therefore production, but they still grow, albeit slower in a greenhouse!
Since winter is a short day season any of the early cool season spring vegetables should thrive now.* Although early season crops are obviously accustomed to the shorter day length *of March/April you could easily alter this in the green house.* Green house growers extend the daylength by just dropping light bulbs directly over the crop for a few hours at sunset and a few hours at sunrise to simulate equal day/night length. **Honestly I am not so sure, unless *you are in commercial production, that *day length will be a factor of concern.* You might find that night temperatures are of *greater concern and the cool season crops listed below will again be the best choice crops if the green house drops into the 55 degree range at night.
I have no hydroponic **experience in I don’t know what will perform best in water.
Cool Season Crops: *Lettuce is one we see frequently planted hydroponically. Other ideas: Brocc, Brus Sprouts, Cabbages, Cauliflower, Peas, Radishes, Spinach
See the attached planting lists and any plant that goes into outdoor soil before May 1st can be classified as a cool season crop. I have also seen swiss chard grown hydroponically and many of the herbs.
Hope this gives you some insight.
If you have more questions we are here to help.
Joyce Browning
Urban Horticulturist/ Master Gardener Coordinator
University of Maryland Extension

Eleven11
01-05-2012, 08:26 AM
Here's a pic of the seedlings that I planted on Christmas...

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/171/dsc05774o.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/43/dsc05778lu.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/69/dsc05776i.jpg/

List of seeds planted:

Cucumber
Campari Tomato
Bell Pepper
Cherry Tomato
Corn "silver queen"
Sugar snap peas
Alaska peas
Green Bean (bush)