PDA

View Full Version : Hey y'all from Oklahoma USA

DonnaRae
12-20-2011, 11:53 AM
Hi, aquaponoids,

I am gearing up to install an aquaponics system in an existing greenhouse. My husband is great with the construction end of things, and I am searching for knowledge about how to do it, best fish and plants, and so on. I am in Oklahoma, which is in the south central US for those of you not familiar with US geography. We are in USDA Zone 7, last frost date is around April 15, and we can grow vegetables well into October and November.

I am especially concerned with choosing fish with a good ration of omega-6 to omega-3 fatty acids because of health concerns. I hope there's a discussion going about that and will look for it.

Looks like there are many experienced people on this forum and I am looking forward to learning from you. Thanks!

Donna

foodchain
12-20-2011, 01:32 PM
Yellow Perch is the first thing that comes to mind, or run rainbow trout as a winter crop. I am not far from you, and it's too hot for us to run them year round. Do some googling and see what's out there. DNR and fisheries have lots' of stuff out about this.

commander
12-20-2011, 01:37 PM
Hello from West Texas!

fundreamer1
12-20-2011, 09:48 PM
Hello,
I'm in Tulsa here and would like to meet others in the area to help with hints, tips etc.
I have yet to build my green house but, kinda gathering info so when I do get started, I won't waste much time or money.

urbanfarmer
12-22-2011, 04:39 AM
Greetings Earthling, and welcome to the addiction! :mrgreen:

DonnaRae
12-22-2011, 07:23 PM
Greetings Earthling, and welcome to the addiction! :mrgreen:

:lol: