PDA

View Full Version : Rockwool questions

alex281
12-19-2011, 09:40 PM
Hey guys :D

So i got a bunch seeds from varieties of a couple lettuce plants, some nagabon pepper seeds, and trinidad butch t pepper seeds.

its pretty cold outside and the 2 plants i do have in my system are starting to die off, so im guessing now is not a good time to germinate outside.

I setup a mini green house and already have some of the lettuce seeds sprouting(pic below :D)
However im concerned about what kind of water to give them.
Should i continue adding water with a ph of 5.5 or can i use regular ph water now?
Also, is the water from my system good to add as far as nutrients go until the cubes are ready to be transplanted?(roots showing at bottom of cube etc.) If not what should i add to the water?

urbanfarmer
12-19-2011, 10:40 PM
You can add system water to give them the nutrients.

I'm not sure what you mean by adding regular pH water. The 5.5 pH is for soaking the cubes to remove the leftover lime from the manufacturing process. Plants do prefer soils with a lower pH usually in the 5 to 6 range and this has to do with nutrient availability.

Seedlings, just like "normal" adult plants need nutrients to grow. If you are only feeding your plants pure water, they will definitely suffer if not die altogether.

alex281
12-20-2011, 08:22 AM
You can add system water to give them the nutrients.

I'm not sure what you mean by adding regular pH water. The 5.5 pH is for soaking the cubes to remove the leftover lime from the manufacturing process. Plants do prefer soils with a lower pH usually in the 5 to 6 range and this has to do with nutrient availability.

Seedlings, just like "normal" adult plants need nutrients to grow. If you are only feeding your plants pure water, they will definitely suffer if not die altogether.

Thanks! Buy regular I meant the ph just as it is out of my system, rather than adjusting it :P