PDA

View Full Version : SEED CONTEST 12/09/2011

urbanfarmer
12-08-2011, 10:18 PM
I will ship the winner some seeds. I will include (at least) seeds from my very recent harvest of ghost peppers, datil peppers, and cayenne peppers. I may also include habanero and scotch bonnet pepper seeds. Since I have so many leftover seed packets I got for free as a Master Gardener, I may include some of those (as I find them).

To win you must be the first person to correctly answer the following question:
What special feature allows Tilapia to survive a high chlorine concentration like that found in regular tap water?

The answer will fit in the following format: _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ :arrow: _ _ _ _

(I will fill in a few letters tonight and as the question portion of the contest comes to and end.)

If no one answers correctly by December 12th, we will have a random drawing by guessing a number between 1 - 100 :mrgreen:

alex281
12-08-2011, 11:00 PM
I MUST HAVE THOSE PEPPER SEEDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

alex281
12-08-2011, 11:07 PM
3rd edit now :P

i found this :D

EURYHALINE FISH, such as tilapia (Oreochromis mossambicus),
are able to maintain their internal osmolarity and ionic concentrations
in waters with a wide range of salinities. Mitochondrion-
rich cells (MRCs) in the gill epithelium play a critical
role in regulating internal ionic concentrations, either by secreting
excess internal Na (through a paracellular pathway)
and Cl in seawater or by taking up Na, Cl, and Ca2 in
fresh water

Thats the closest thing could find on the net :P

foodchain
12-09-2011, 06:10 AM
I believe it's the Mitochondira-rich cells in the gills. Also aids in adjustment from fresh to salt water.
There's some really cool information on this stuff, including lot's of pics for the commic book type folks.

From: The journal of Experimental Biology 200,55-64 (1997)
Printed in the Great Britain, The Company of Biologist Limited 1997
JEB0445

urbanfarmer
12-09-2011, 08:42 AM
You guys are so close, and what you said is (of course) correct. However, that is not the answer I seek. You are 1 level too low. You are discussing organelles. We could discuss the epithelial tissue, but that would be 1 level too high. What I seek is the name of that in between the two. If that clue doesn't help, this one will. It needs to fit in the following (2 words):

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ :arrow: _ _ _ _

foodchain
12-09-2011, 09:30 AM
Probably not what you wanted, but thought I should post this as this is the most advanced break down I have ever seen. After reading this, I have a headache.

The present study presents the complete genomic sequence of Nile tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus) transferrin and functional studies of transferrin in relation to saltwater resistance. The gene consists of a total of 17 exons separated by 16 introns. The complete coding domain sequence is 2085 bp and the gene spans more than 7 kb of genomic DNA. The gene was compared to other species using phylogenctic analyses and protein alignment. Two microsatellite markers closely linked to transferrin were genotyped on surviving and non-surviving tilapia siblings kept in saltwater. Statistical analysis detected a significant distortion in segregation between two haplotypes defined by the two microsatellites. Sequence analysis of the transferrin gene detected several SNPs, some of which resulted in amino-acid changes in the transferrin protein. A haplotype of several SNPs segregated together with the two microsatellites and indicated that transferrin could be associated with saltwater tolerance in tilapia. An expression study indicated up-regulation of transferrin when tilapias were exposed to saltwater. These findings suggest that transferrin is involved in saltwater tolerance in tilapia. (c) 2007 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.

foodchain
12-09-2011, 09:34 AM
Okay, so I THINK I know so far that 'answer' is the same adaptation in the gills that allows the tilapia to tolerate sea water as chlorine. In which case, this applies:

gill structure, plasma sodium levels and gill Na+/K+ ATPase activity. In fresh water (FW), all fish presented a gill epithelium structure characteristic of FW stenohaline fish: no chloride cells (CC) on the lamellae and few CC on the filaments. An increase in external salinity induced the proliferation of CC on filaments, a feature typical of seawater teleosts. This change in gill structure was accompanied by an increase of gill Na+/K+ ATPase activity. In the most tolerant strains, plasma Na+ did not change, indicating successful ion regulation in the hypertonic media. With regard to potential interest of field strains in fish culture, O. aureus acclimated more easily to brackish water than O. niloticus. Interestingly, O. niloticus, kept for several generations in the laboratory, performed best in our challenge studies. Plasma Na+ levels and gill CC proliferation upon transfer to an isotonic medium may be the parameters of choice when testing these fish for their response to a salinity change.

foodchain
12-09-2011, 09:35 AM
None of this fits the hang man model provided...

Basil1
12-09-2011, 09:38 AM
adaptive time

foodchain
12-09-2011, 09:52 AM
Basil that fits, and sounds good. But doesn't that seem more like a verb instead of a noun? Tilapia tolerate a lot of abuse if introduced slowly over time. Could the answer really be this simple?
Reading about the osmo-regulatory capacity of whole blood through the ciculatory tubes of the gills...bleh...boring stuff I can't pronounce half of this. In simple terms, this appears to be a protein working with an enzyme to ease the tolernaces of the gills in regards to many common pollutants, salt, etc.

Basil1
12-09-2011, 09:56 AM
how about "adaption time" instead

Basil1
12-09-2011, 10:04 AM
glycogen gene

foodchain
12-09-2011, 10:07 AM
It has to do with how the MRC cells function within the gills I bet. The gills absorb the oxygen from the water as it passes over, the MRC's allow for a greater absorption of oxygen when/where other species can't. That's how chlorine kills, it burns the gills, this is why fish gasp or pip for air. They are still "breathing" but not getting anything. Similar to altitude sickness in people that way.

urbanfarmer
12-09-2011, 10:12 AM
glycogen gene
It's much larger than a gene; you are several levels too small. It's larger than mitochondria (an organelle) and smaller than the epithelial tissue (tissue).

It's 2 words; so, you are on the right track. You can get 1 word right off the bat. What is larger than a organelle and smaller than tissue? :mrgreen:

I AM GIVING TOO MANY HINTS TOO FAST...

I didn't use relevant terminology in the question because you guys would google fu it too fast.

Basil1
12-09-2011, 10:18 AM
chloride cell

foodchain
12-09-2011, 10:34 AM
Adipocytes Tissue.....Does it fit?

foodchain
12-09-2011, 10:40 AM
First word is 8 letters, second is 4.
Everything I am finding is like 10+ letters.
Beats me. Good Luck Basil.

urbanfarmer
12-09-2011, 10:42 AM
chloride cell
WINNER WINNER!!!

I feel as if I made it too easy... PM me your mailing address for prize.

alex281
12-09-2011, 04:31 PM
chloride cell
WINNER WINNER!!!

I feel as if I made it too easy... PM me your mailing address for prize.

to easy?

I spent 4 hours on google yesterday :P
Of course that is probably because i have 0 knowledge on fish altogether but still :P

Congratz Basil :D

urbanfarmer
12-12-2011, 08:25 AM
NEW CONTEST: SEED CONTEST 12/12/2011 (http://www.diyaquaponics.com/forum/showthread.php?1309-SEED-CONTEST-12-12-2011)

urbanfarmer
12-18-2011, 03:17 PM
Only 10 people voted? hmm...

stucco
12-18-2011, 05:48 PM
90% yes though 8-)