PDA

View Full Version : Something is wrong

foodchain
12-05-2011, 10:18 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALUMINUM-1-2-HP ... 5647036361 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALUMINUM-1-2-HP-ELECTRIC-WATER-PUMP-POOL-FARM-POND-Centrifugal-BioDiesel-/370558591841?pt=BI_Pumps&hash=item5647036361)

I have read through this, over and over. Something is wrong here. How can a pump with that much head pressure and GPH, run on that low of electricity AND be $40 AND include free shipping?
Just so happens I am searching for a new direction in pumps, and am trying to avoid the 220/240 volt systems I am seeing. But this just doesn't look right to me. Can I get some input here? Thank you.

foodchain
12-05-2011, 10:21 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1HP-CENTRIFUGAL ... 35b3f693f2 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/1HP-CENTRIFUGAL-WATER-PUMP-16GPM-1-IN-OUT-POOL-POND-/230652548082?pt=BI_Pumps&hash=item35b3f693f2)

Have pump prices really come down? And I have had my head in the sand?

foodchain
12-05-2011, 10:22 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Solar-Power-Fou ... 3f10efe6b6 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Solar-Power-Fountain-Pool-Water-Pump-Garden-Watering-/270867097270?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f10efe6b6)

DO NOT BUY THIS!!!!!! It's CRAP.

commander
12-05-2011, 10:27 AM
I bought one of these from harbor freight and it was junk. I don't see how they ever got it to perform to the advertised specs and the solar cells were crap.

foodchain
12-05-2011, 10:34 AM
yup...same here. Pure crap. Don't buy. I am looking through ebay now, and the prices on water pumps have come down a bunch. Either they are crap quality, made in China by a 4 year old type stuff, or due to the recession, etc the prices are coming down. Hard for me to know which.
Don't have the extra money to just take blind stabs in the dark.

foodchain
12-05-2011, 10:35 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ELECTRIC-WA ... 2eb9af83e2 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ELECTRIC-WATER-PUMP-1-2-HP-CENTRIFUGAL-PUMP-1-/200683783138?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb9af83e2)

Another, similar to first one. But cheaper. There's gotta be a catch here. This same pump type costs close to $100-150 here locally.

foodchain
12-05-2011, 11:42 AM
Anyone have any suggestions for pumps with ball park 1,000 GPH, and some headpressure of about 6 ft or more....ballpark...with 110V? I have it in the 220, but these are a beast to run the wire where it needs to go for that pump.

bsfman
12-05-2011, 11:44 AM
I just won an auction on this one on Ebay for $94.95 (free shipping). I see the buy it now price is now $99.95 with free shipping.
1800 GPH Pump (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Submersible-Pond-Waterfall-Fountain-Pump-1800-GPH-/220889009258?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item336e02cc6a)
My well water is crap (high ammonia) and I don't want to mess with dechlorinating city water so I've been humping buckets of canal water up from my dock to top up my three systems. I'm just going to use this pump attached to a garden hose for short periods of time to top up. It's supposed to have 18' lift and I need to move water at least 10' over the canal level, so we'll see if it does the job.

foodchain
12-05-2011, 12:44 PM
I can't seem to get the link to work. I would be concerned about the head pressure. But then again, FL doesn't have much elevation or fall to it....so a couple of feet maybe?

bsfman
12-05-2011, 12:56 PM
I can't seem to get the link to work. I would be concerned about the head pressure. But then again, FL doesn't have much elevation or fall to it....so a couple of feet maybe?

What's the concern regarding head pressure?

foodchain
12-05-2011, 01:04 PM
Never mind, I found the answer in the link you sent me. Most pumps, when they claim Max Head pressure it's at almost 0 GPH...so I was wondering in relation to the height you needed, if you would have suffecient flow. Always a balancing act for me. I can pump small amounts really high, or large amounts really low.

foodchain
12-05-2011, 01:36 PM
Looks like that pump is made by SunSun, or as an Aussie company called it SenSen. Not sure if there's a difference or perhaps a typo. I found lots of people selling it....but no reveiews. Does anyone know about this: HQB5500 ??? 1800 GPH with 18 ft of head pressure?

bsfman
12-05-2011, 02:35 PM
Does anyone know about this: HQB5500 ??? 1800 GPH with 18 ft of head pressure?

Not yet, but I'll assess it and report in a week or so when it arrives! :) I figure since it will only run short periods of time, it may last me a while even if it's a POS. Heck, for 94 bucks if I only get 94 days of use out of it, I figure it's money well spent for an old fart like me who finds hauling full buckets onerous! I figure the max lift I need is about 10 feet (during the dry season when the canal water gets low), so I should get decent enough flow rate at 10 feet of head. It'll only be running at 56 percent of lift capacity. Granted, there'll be some hydraulic friction in the garden hose, but still...

urbanfarmer
12-11-2011, 12:53 AM
@foodchain those pumps are really inefficient for a aquaponic system

foodchain
12-11-2011, 08:01 AM
So what's the solution? If you need the higher GPH, and the headpressure....there really aren't whole lot of options I am finding.
From what I see, I am stuck with my 220 pool pumps...one of which is rated to 57 ft of head pressure. But they are expensive, bulky, and when they burn out it's a crap load of cash.

bsfman
12-11-2011, 09:37 AM
Looks like that pump is made by SunSun, or as an Aussie company called it SenSen. Not sure if there's a difference or perhaps a typo. I found lots of people selling it....but no reveiews. Does anyone know about this: HQB5500 ??? 1800 GPH with 18 ft of head pressure?

This pump was delivered to me via FedEx 2 days ago on Friday. The pump literature shows various flow rates at various elevations. The flow rates were devised using 28mm pipe (about 1 1/8" inside diameter). I'm sure their flow rates were calculated using the shortest pipe lengths possible as well. I reduced my output to a 75 foot length of 5/8" ID garden hose so obviously, I'm getting much more hydraulic friction than you would experience using shorter, bigger diameter plumbing. I'm obviously not getting nearly the rated capacity out of it for my level of head, but that being said, I am getting 180 ghp out of it at roughly 10 foot elevation. Very sufficient for my use in topping up my systems with canal water. (It sure beats hauling five gallon buckets!)

The pump is plastic, submersible, fairly heavy and appears well built. Time will tell how reliable it is, but again, I am not running it constantly - more like 6 or 7 minutes a day.

urbanfarmer
12-11-2011, 10:47 AM
So what's the solution? If you need the higher GPH, and the headpressure....there really aren't whole lot of options I am finding.
From what I see, I am stuck with my 220 pool pumps...one of which is rated to 57 ft of head pressure. But they are expensive, bulky, and when they burn out it's a crap load of cash.
OH, you need it to lift the water far? In that case, you don't have a choice. How high are you lifting the water?? Those pumps are well pumps if I'm not mistaken.

Oliver
12-11-2011, 11:50 AM
Just wanted to advise you against using an aluminum pump in your system due to toxic corrosion issues. Stick with just about anything else. Iron, ss, bronze, plastic, etc. "They" are linking aluminum to all sorts of illnesses and in a closed system why take a chance?
Metals, especially copper, zinc, brass (which contains both copper and zinc) and bronze (which contains copper and tin) are toxic to fish.

The only metal that you should be considering putting anywhere in you water path, is iron (depending what else is mixed with it) and stainless steel.

Oliver

keith_r
12-11-2011, 12:06 PM
i'm using pond pumps i got from home depot, submersible. magnetic drive.. not sure of the brand, tetra maybe? but the first one has been running pretty much non stop for 18 months

urbanfarmer
12-11-2011, 12:29 PM
i'm using pond pumps i got from home depot, submersible. magnetic drive.. not sure of the brand, tetra maybe? but the first one has been running pretty much non stop for 18 months
For lower gallons I go with "Sunterra 200850 Pond Pump, 850 GPH"; the lower models don't seem as good for some reason (oh, and I got mine $50 free shipping). I haven't found anything cheaper and more efficient. It comes with a 2 year warranty. I have had mine for about 9 months. However, I am trying to move away from using a pump like these altogether.

foodchain
12-12-2011, 05:26 AM
Haven't had any problems at all with/without metals. For some I suppose this is an issue, but for me it's not. I have had copper in contact with my water and no effects on enverts, or any measurable amounts in water out of the ordinary.
After doing some research it looks like I am staying with 220V systems. But will look to seperate the centrifigal drives from the motor so that it's shaft driven. This will minimize the amount of parts that need to be replaced. Either it will be the pump side or the motor side now. Submersibles just don't have the balls to move what I need moved.
Thanks for the help.