PDA

View Full Version : Hi everyone...and Aquaponics family dynamics

pondwater
11-28-2011, 05:31 PM
Posted here a few days ago and the site immediately crashed! I just wanted to display some of my ignorance regarding posting on forums and ask, "Where should I post this?" I'm aware if I goof the moderator will correct me, but I'm trying to save her/him the trouble - so let me trouble you instead.

I am reading the books and learning about Aquaponics and am trying to engender some enthusiasm for such a project with my wife. I am actively considering and planning such a project. She's putting her foot down. She worries that I'll wreck her house; make it wet and stinky, or have escaped worms crawling about. My question: Is the project doomed?

keith_r
11-28-2011, 08:25 PM
a small indoor system supplying fresh herbs for the kitchen will go a long way in convincing your better half..
start with a fish tank and some pots on shelves with good light..
as you search for info you'll come across systems that look as good as they work, and before you know it, the whole family will be involved (lots of science and math stuff for the kids)
on the other hand, my wife has accepted that i'm nuts.

foodchain
11-29-2011, 06:40 AM
For what it's worth. My wife, loves me dearly but has added my projects to my list of fualts.
She likes them when they work, but the rest of the time they are just in her way. Best advice, keep em small, out of her way. When they start working well, expand and she will see the benifit. And if it crashes and burns or you find it's not for you, then there's not a whole lot invested. Easier to get out of wife jail that way. Good luck. IF you find a better way....please let me know.

JCO
11-29-2011, 08:17 AM
Welcome and sorry about your previous first post. OK, as for where to start your thread, let's take this discussion to http://diyaquaponics.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=101 :mrgreen:

Basil1
11-29-2011, 12:59 PM
Just do it. Remember it's easier to beg forgiveness then to ask permission.

pondwater
11-30-2011, 05:10 AM
Thanks everyone. My usual strategy falls along the lines of the one recommended by Basil1, but I'm hoping some careful planning will result in less apologizing. I am interested in the start-small recommendation; don't people find that smaller systems are inherently less stable, require more human inputs and management, and are more prone to disruptions perturbations and failure? Upstate New York in the winter is not the most forgiving or reliable of places. I will post more on what I am considering in the How-to Forum.

keith_r
11-30-2011, 07:31 AM
i'm in northern ohio, and it's snowing right now.. my first system was a single 110 gallon rubbermaid stocktank and two 55gal blue barrels cut in half for growbeds...based on "Travis Hughey's Barrelponics" a very nice starting point..
i moved my system into the basement but it kinda morphed, and is still changing, right now i'm getting parts to plumb up four growbeds made from 2 IBC Totes, i already have an 8' pool full of water with minnows and crayfish, waiting for the perch that are in my 55 gallon tanks.. the only real "smell" from the system is garlic, onion, sage, green stuff.. if the water ever "smells bad" there's a problem.... it's not overly humid and with our winters, any added moisture in the air will be welcome in the house..
i'm looking forward to having fresh greens year round

urbanfarmer
12-02-2011, 08:03 PM
Greetings Earthling, and welcome to the addiction! :mrgreen:

stucco
12-03-2011, 03:09 AM
Welcome! Please start a system thread in members systems and let us know what you have in mind, what materials that you have saved up or where considering. We should be able to keep the smell down and the worms off of the floor for ya.