PDA

View Full Version : Necessary/recommended to glue the drain assembly pipes?

venturajm
11-13-2011, 02:44 PM
I have a bell siphon set up and just did my first two tests (both successful!), but I noticed a couple of beads of water around the pipes and elbows in the drain assembly. None of the instructions I read to make my bell siphons mentioned glueing the drain assembly pieces together. Is there any reason not to?

davidstcldfl
11-13-2011, 03:56 PM
Hi venturajm, If you don't glue them....if you ever need to clean them, it would be easier. If your indoors, you may not want them to be dripping. I have smeared a little silicone on the pipe and fitting, then put them together.

I'd at least glue the cap onto the top of the bell....if it's not sealed, it can cause erratic operation.

aquaarche
11-16-2011, 04:30 PM
I have a bell siphon set up and just did my first two tests (both successful!), but I noticed a couple of beads of water around the pipes and elbows in the drain assembly. None of the instructions I read to make my bell siphons mentioned glueing the drain assembly pieces together. Is there any reason not to?

Where did you get your bell siphon design? do you have pictures and instruction on how to build?

keith_r
11-18-2011, 07:36 AM
i would NOT glue drain pipes.. i only glue the first few fittings off the pump where there is pressure.. everything else is slip fit.. a little aquarium silicon will help, and your fittings will be re-usable