PDA

View Full Version : Limiting the threat of system overflow/spillage

venturajm
11-13-2011, 10:36 AM
Hi folks, last night my wife and I finished construction of two bell siphons. We've performed tests on both and they worked like a charm! Such a relief after many trips to the hardware store and hours watching YouTube videos and reading in this forum on construction techniques.

Now my problem -- a concern really: Our aquaculture set up is in our living room about 8 feet away from my home entertainment system, and a tank overflow or problem with the bell siphon could be catastrophe (e.g. ruined electronics, books, and rugs). Do you have any recommendations for how to limit the threat of overflow or spillage in an aquaculture system? For example is there any fail-safe devices I can add to the bell siphons in case they don't start while I'm at work. Or, do you have any design ideas that would minimize this danger?

[attachment=0:3bie8aq6]bell-siphon.jpg[/attachment:3bie8aq6]
Thanks so much for your help.

bsfman
11-13-2011, 10:55 AM
Do you have any recommendations for how to limit the threat of overflow or spillage in an aquaculture system? For example is there any fail-safe devices I can add to the bell siphons in case they don't start while I'm at work. Or, do you have any design ideas that would minimize this danger?

A simple stand pipe with the intake set a fraction of an inch higher than the top of the bell siphon intake would be an easy fail safe. So long as the bell siphon works properly, the standpipe would never be used. If the bell siphon fails, the standpipe would assure the water level doesn't rise higher than it's intake.

venturajm
11-13-2011, 02:45 PM
Thanks, bsfman. Simple enough, but a great backup.