PDA

View Full Version : Hot Sauce

urbanfarmer
11-05-2011, 12:10 PM
Anyone willing to share their hot sauce recipe? I have never made hot sauce, but it's about dang time I tried! :lol:

I got ghost peppers, scotch bonnet, habanero, and regular red long cayenne. OH, and some datil peppers! (lots of each)

alex281
11-05-2011, 01:02 PM
http://www.squidoo.com/habaneroheat

This is an excellent recipe however instead of vinegar i recommend using vodka as it evaporates leaving a far better taste than vinegar

also add about 5-10 ghost peppers

we made the same one without the dried peppers and only one fresh ghost pepper!
it has loads of flavor with a really balanced out heat.

(also if your lazy like us, just blend it all up and bring it to a simmer on low heat. no need to wait all those hours.for this method dont bother adding all that water, just a couple splashes of extra vodka)

urbanfarmer
11-05-2011, 08:07 PM
Nice! I need a blender, and I will try it this week!

bsfman
11-05-2011, 08:32 PM
Anyone willing to share their hot sauce recipe? I have never made hot sauce, but it's about dang time I tried! :lol:

I got ghost peppers, scotch bonnet, habanero, and regular red long cayenne. OH, and some datil peppers! (lots of each)

Some great hot sauce recipes are online if you Google it. I've made datil, habanero, cayenne and chipotle (jalapeno based) sauces in years past. Many recipes will call for carrots as a thickener/flavorer in the recipe. Here's a tip: try substituting beets for the carrots in such a recipe! They add color, bulk, thickening and sweetness and you wind up with a uniquely colored and flavored hot sauce! :)

urbanfarmer
11-05-2011, 09:33 PM

Some great hot sauce recipes are online if you Google it. I've made datil, habanero, cayenne and chipotle (jalapeno based) sauces in years past. Many recipes will call for carrots as a thickener/flavorer in the recipe. Here's a tip: try substituting beets for the carrots in such a recipe! They add color, bulk, thickening and sweetness and you wind up with a uniquely colored and flavored hot sauce! :)
What about radish? I got a lot still growing... ever tried that?? They are a different type of "hot"; so, that could be interesting!

stucco
11-06-2011, 08:18 AM
Juice of 4 lemons and 4 limes.
8 squeezed oranges.
Extract of a large onion and a bulb of garlic. I use the juiceman juicer for this
25 roasted peppers peeled and seeded.
25 pepper corns. Cracked
Table spoon of sea salt
4 heaping cups of José Qurevo tequila Plata
Mix and serve. I generally don’t simmer this one because the lemon and lime cooks it a bit and it never lasts very long.

urbanfarmer
11-06-2011, 01:41 PM
Juice of 4 lemons and 4 limes.
8 squeezed oranges.
Extract of a large onion and a bulb of garlic. I use the juiceman juicer for this
25 roasted peppers peeled and seeded.
25 pepper corns. Cracked
Table spoon of sea salt
4 heaping cups of José Qurevo tequila Plata
Mix and serve. I generally don’t simmer this one because the lemon and lime cooks it a bit and it never lasts very long.
NICE! Thank you! José Quervo huh? Don't tell me you take shots of hot sauce at parties??? :lol:

keith_r
11-07-2011, 06:33 AM
when you cook radishes they get much milder, and taste a lot like cabbage..
before roasting your peppers, "cook" the skin off over open flame

stucco
11-07-2011, 01:17 PM
[/quote] José Quervo huh? Don't tell me you take shots of hot sauce at parties??? :lol:[/quote]
No need a party to do shots :) insert drunk guy smiley

stucco
11-07-2011, 01:22 PM
I’ve wanted to try a technique that I saw on food net. Roasting peppers for getting the skin off with a blow torch.

commander
11-07-2011, 01:30 PM
There are a number of ways to roast chili's. I have done it on a BBQ grill, over the flame on a gas stove and over a campfire. The trick is not to get them to done. You want to blacken the skin on the pepper but not affect the inside. When it is done right, you can hold the pepper under a tap running a cool stream of water and the skin will just slip off. The heat does some chemical changes to the pepper and you get this amazing sweet/hot taste. We roast Hatch chili peppers and jalepenos (which are then called chipotle and are the basis of all the chipotle sauces and dishes).