PDA

View Full Version : Little white flies

chrisfoerst
11-03-2011, 09:51 AM
I had almost finished the installation of my aquaponic system in an elementary school and I see what looks like an infestation of small white flies? There are little tiny white thigs that look like very small grains of rice and also small white things ruling around. Is there any easy solution to this? I only have the next four weeks to do projects with the kids. Dismantling the whole system and starting from scratch is probably out of the question. Any ideas what I ca do?

keith_r
11-03-2011, 10:15 AM
sounds like you need some beneficial insects;
"Biological Control
Whiteflies have many natural enemies, and outbreaks frequently occur when these natural enemies have been disturbed or destroyed by pesticides, dust buildup, or other factors. General predators include lacewings, bigeyed bugs, and minute pirate bugs. Several small lady beetles including Clitostethus arcuatus (on ash whitefly) and scale predators such as Scymnus or Chilocorus species, and the Asian multicolored lady beetle, Harmonia axyridis, feed on whiteflies. Whiteflies have a number of naturally occurring parasites that can be very important in controlling some species. Encarsia spp. parasites are commercially available for release in greenhouse situations; however, they are not generally recommended for outdoor use because they are not well adapted for survival in temperate zones. An exception is the use of parasite releases for bayberry whitefly in citrus in southern California. You can evaluate the degree of natural parasitization in your plants by checking empty whitefly pupal cases. Those that were parasitized will have round or oval exit holes and those from which a healthy adult whitefly emerged will have a T-shaped exit hole. Whitefly nymphs can sometimes be checked for parasitization before emergence by noting a darkening in their color. However, some whitefly parasites do not turn hosts black and many whitefly nymphs that occur on ornamentals are black in their unparasitized state."

chrisfoerst
11-03-2011, 12:47 PM
Hi Keith,

The aquaponic unit is set up in the science lab. There is no outdoor air, it's all enclosed. What do you think about diamatreous earth? I imagine it's as bad for the white flies as for the beneficial insects. But is it recommended at all? Otherwise, I will go with the beneficial insects.

Thanks for the response!

keith_r
11-03-2011, 01:17 PM
yes, de will work and is fish safe..

aquaarche
11-04-2011, 12:22 AM
You know Murray gave out a recipe for insecticide. take 2 heads of coarsely chopped Garlic and a hand full of chopped hot peppers boil them in two quarts of water at full boil for 3-5 minutes. Let cool pour off cooled liquid filtering out the remains of the garlic and peppers. Add equal amount of water to the liquid garlic pepper water and add 2-3 drops of dish soap (the type that has no anti-bacterial added to it). shale well

spray on the underside, tops side and stem of your plants. the little that gits your beds should not hurt your plants. Should work for all insects and animals

Oh! :o yeah! don't breath in the fumes when your cooking it will send you choking for you life's breath. :lol:

Also wash your hands after you cut, cook or spray this mixture as it will kill your eyes, nose and other sensitive skin areas if you touch or rub them :oops: .

keith_r
11-04-2011, 05:43 AM
the "chilli spray" works ok for aphids, the recipe also adds some cayenne and black pepper... the white flies can be a bit more difficult, i had trouble with compost gnats and the mix didn't work, but some beneficial nematodes seems to have resolved that problem

aquaarche
11-04-2011, 11:49 PM
Clove oil and Citronella extracts also work for repelling insects

keith_r
11-05-2011, 07:28 AM
clove oil is sometimes used as a fish anesthetic, i would not use it to treat plants in an ap.. i'd probably avoid citronella until i did more research.. ap does not like oils - well.. the fish don't

aquaarche
11-07-2011, 10:43 PM
Really didn't know that.

thanks keith_r