PDA

View Full Version : EMERGENCY (leaking tank)!!

alex281
10-31-2011, 10:22 PM
I need help!!

My freaking 55 gallon tank sprung a leak and i have no idea what to replace it with!
i patched the hole with duck tape for now and it seemed to stop leaking!

What the heck should i get for a tank now? i heard about kiddie pools, but will these sprout leaks to? whats a permanent(CHEAP) solution?

Here is my system now! MY Rooftop System (Photo Journal!! :D) (http://www.diyaquaponics.com/forum/showthread.php?1228-MY-Rooftop-System-(Photo-Journal!!-D))

I'm hoping i wont have to move anything to accommodate the tank!

Thanks!

urbanfarmer
10-31-2011, 10:37 PM
I need help!!

My freaking 55 gallon tank sprung a leak and i have no idea what to replace it with!

What the heck should i get for a tank now? i heard about kiddie pools, but will these sprout leaks to? whats a permanent(CHEAP) solution?

heres my system now! MY Rooftop System (Photo Journal!! :D) (http://www.diyaquaponics.com/forum/showthread.php?1228-MY-Rooftop-System-(Photo-Journal!!-D))

im hoping i wont have to move anything to accommodate the tank!

Thanks!

I've had 2 without any problems. Just buy another one and replace it. Make sure the one you buy doesn't already have damage (as most of the ones did when I bought mine). You could also try melting the plastic to patch it up if it's not a big leak. That plastic bin bulges easily filled with water, but I've had one for a year and a half outdoors with a wooden frame around it.

alex281
10-31-2011, 11:39 PM
I need help!!

heres my system now! MY Rooftop System (Photo Journal!! :D) (http://www.diyaquaponics.com/forum/showthread.php?1228-MY-Rooftop-System-(Photo-Journal!!-D))

im hoping i wont have to move anything to accommodate the tank!

Thanks!

I've had 2 without any problems. Just buy another one and replace it. Make sure the one you buy doesn't already have damage (as most of the ones did when I bought mine). You could also try melting the plastic to patch it up if it's not a big leak. That plastic bin bulges easily filled with water, but I've had one for a year and a half outdoors with a wooden frame around it.

Thanks for the reply! its not so much a stupid bulge as i have that protected it with the cinder blocks and the cover which i carved out! but its a stupid crack like thing near the bottom edge. ill shall try to melt it up and cover the crack. just to be sure ill put some sillicone around the outside where the hole is.(id put some on the inside but i dont think the sillicone is food safe.)

EDIT: ok so as soon as i heated it up just a tad the whole thing melted and there is now a gaping hole :( however i had an idea to just buy a new one and stick it inside the old one so that way it will have some added protection.

Ps, the fish are safe in another little tank for now and i saved most of the systems water that didnt leak by pumping it to the grow bed.

keith_r
11-01-2011, 05:59 AM
those kiddie pools with the "stiff" sides won't really work.. with water level fluctuations they have a tendency to collapse...
i'm still using a "ring" type pool but the jury is still out on long term issues

Basil1
11-01-2011, 08:33 AM
those kiddie pools with the "stiff" sides won't really work.. with water level fluctuations they have a tendency to collapse...
i'm still using a "ring" type pool but the jury is still out on long term issues

Just becareful of anything with sharp spines, teeth or claws anywhere near. When I had mine going had to replace when pacu bit thru ring going for food. Lost everything in it when it collapsed and drained.

urbanfarmer
11-01-2011, 09:13 AM
Oh, good idea with buying one to put inside. Yea, melting the plastic can be tricky. I have made gaping holes before, but then I patch it up with more plastic (harder to do without a plastic welder). I always though welding plastic would be easier, but for anything larger than a small crack it can be a pain!

dataman19
11-19-2011, 01:20 AM
Have you tried draining the tank, then installing a sticky laminating sheet over the crack (I call it a laminating band-aide).
This worked for our Fish holding tanks in our first aquaponics system..
Here is how I do It::
Drain & Dry the plastic tote tank..
Use denatured alcohol (or even acetone) to clean the area around the cracked/leaky area...
Cut a sheet of stick on cold laminating sheet to 1.5 to 3" over sized and stick on the leaky area (inside of tank).
Wait about 3-45 minutes and put water back in the tank....
Like I said, this worked for us about three times ... now we have fancy 1.5" thick plexiglass holding tanks (or should I call them quaranteen tanks - your choice. We use then to hold fry or fingerlings in before releasing them into the wild, our grow out tanks).
Dave
Phoenix, AZ