PDA

View Full Version : Pond liners

ArtfulDodger
10-27-2011, 11:47 AM
For an alternative to a hard plastic fish tank, talk to Zeke at Billboardtarps. Pretty inexpensive used as a pond liner (supported of course). They are fish and human friendly according to Zeke. See the website at: http://www.billboardtarps.com/collections/tarps.

If anyone knows of a problem using this method, please let me know, but I've seen it used. Tell him Gary sent you
(no, I don't get a commission ;) )

ArtfulDodger

keith_r
10-27-2011, 12:44 PM
hey gary,, i was looking at those a while ago, but never got around to trying them..
in a gravel media bed, i'd proabably be a little worried about tears, but they are definitely much cheaper than regular pond liners..
i would consider trying a billboard tarp if i did a wood bed that needed a linter

ArtfulDodger
10-27-2011, 03:20 PM
Hi Keith,

Do your mean laying on wood, as opposed to laying on gravel? I plan to build a reinforced wooden box (4 X 4 X 8), install pond liner, then fill with water for the tank. Also lining the grow trays (same way) - filling with gravel. In your experience, will that work?

Second question: Is the raft system better than flood?

G

keith_r
10-27-2011, 05:49 PM
raft systems have their uses..
regarding the liners, i was thinking of building a wood bed,and lining with a tarp and filling with gravel
i'm going to use IBC totes for my growbeds instead

aquaarche
10-27-2011, 07:46 PM
ferroscement guys Lots of potable water tanks being built using that technique

keith_r
10-28-2011, 05:58 AM
can't use ferro in a rented house basement!

davidstcldfl
10-28-2011, 06:09 AM
I ordered some ....not sure if it was from this place you mentioned. I didn't check it right away... :roll: ....and it had spots where it would NOT hold water.
The material is a product called Duraskrim. I use the 20 mil stuff.

Second question: Is the raft system better than flood?
It's 'best' to use both...have your water go to the media beds first, to filter out the solids, then to the rafts.
The rafts are great for lettuces, ect. The media is great for bigger stuff, like peppers and tomatoes.

aquaarche
10-28-2011, 06:12 AM
can't use ferro in a rented house basement!

I must have missed that part somewhere. IBC would be a good call then.