PDA

View Full Version : Murky water and mucky hydration

chrisfoerst
10-21-2011, 01:05 PM
I am in the process of moving my two aquaponic units to an elementary school. I have been growing out my fish for about 6 months now and the system was running smoothly. However, in the move I had to break down the system and transport the hydration in small buckets. Is it normal that they are kind of slimy and covered with what look like a thin layer of brown sludge? Everything smells decent and I think the water is perfectly cycled.

Also, once I started the pump, the fish tank became so murky that I can't see through it. Is this alright. I imagine it will all settle to the bottom and I can syphon it out.

I was planning to move the fish today but I thought I would post these questions here and get some feedback first.

badflash
10-21-2011, 01:16 PM
I'd say normal for the move, but you should filter out the particulate as fast as possible. Churning up the beds releases all sorts of stuff you didn't know was there.

chrisfoerst
10-21-2011, 03:06 PM
Ok, many thanks for the reply. How would you suggest to filter the particulates out? Do you mean adding a store bought filter (one of those that hangs off the side of an aquarium) and running it for a few hours?

dataman19
11-19-2011, 01:27 AM
I think badflash means to wash the gravel...
Something you probably should have done right after you moved it, while you still had it in buckets ( advise too late is not necessarily the best advice, but it's a learning experience).
Either way - if you move the system, you start the balance over (which means you start new)....
Dave
Phoenix, AZ