PDA

View Full Version : Beware Bacterial Additives Danger to Aquaponic Systems

aquaarche
10-12-2011, 03:40 AM
guys please be aware of using any EM-1 or other probotic formulas in your aquaponic system. Especially composting for use in sprouting for gravel or water trough systems.

I have two friends who followed advice from an EM-1 promoter and lost all their fish. they had an autopsy performed by a local vet that revealed the fish died from acute Strep bacterial poisoning, strep is a bacteria found naturally in soil on every continent, in humans it causes Pneumonia. Apparently the strep bacteria in their compost was way beyond normal levels. The levels were increased via the introduction of a EM-1type formula they were using. when they added small compose pouches with their sprouts to their gravel bed the warm water and gravel became a breeding ground that led to the poisoning of their fish.

They had to sterilized their system gravel and beds,fish tank, their composting drums, utensils and stopped using additional bacterial formulas. The natural composting techniques that do not require additional bacteria to be added seem to be ok for just sprouting your seeds then later transplanting them to your gravel bed or net pots. Different worms and larvae do carry the Strep bacteria in their bodies.

Though the formulas are touted as being organic and natural the problem lay in that these formulas are over used to quicken the bacterial stages or stepping, when this happens the bacteria raises to unnatural levels and this is where the problems begin. These products need to be used sparingly and not continually as being promoted.

The bacterial outbreaks over the last few years among nuts, seeds, vegetables and fruits has caused alarm with CDC and others to investigate the over use of these formulas which they are suspicious may be behind some of the factors that have led to not just outbreaks but anti-biotic resistant bacterial strains as well. Almost every seed farm and farm investigated in the US, Europe, North Africa and Mexico have been using additional bacterial agents like EM-1 at their facilities.

Remember that the system of aquaponics is a closed system adding to many bacteria not occurring in a natural cycle will cause bacterial spikes that will cause a depletion to the Nitrites and Nitrates, lower pH levels, consume the dissolved oxygen, cause algae blooms, and can lead to bacterial poisoning of the fish. It can cause your fish to become sterile, losing your ability to use your own fish to reproduce your next stock.

These bacteria formulas can damage the aquaponic environment. And do not for a moment believe that warm blooded bacterias like E-coli, Salmonella or naturally occurring Strep and Staph, as well as other forms of bacteria and fungi will not harm your closed system or your fish. Be very careful what bacteria and fungi you allow into your system.

BTW, no matter what anyone says don't drink any probotic soil conditioner like EM-1 they are inherently dangerous. This is a partial post off another site to protect his and my identity no names are written or link will be given. this man is dying and there is no cure at the moment all because he listen to a promoter of EM-1 tell the audience that it was safe to drink and even healthy to do so.

"I ingested a soil probiotic containing Streptomyces Griseus, which I believe is now killing me - immunologically, endocrinologically and certainly structurally. . . . My poop smells like earthy compost... the Doctors believe that Streptomyces Griseus contained in EM I ingested is causing my demise."

So beware of these smooth talking people who tell you how safe these bacterial formulas are don't you believe it. be afraid, be very afraid.

cookie
10-23-2011, 09:48 PM
Has anyone in aquaponics used enzyme based products like hygrozyme? It says its bacteria free but before I run a test I was hoping for someones data to show me if its ok or not first.

aquaarche
10-24-2011, 12:05 AM
From what I know it is not to healthy for the fish