PDA

View Full Version : A Commercial Hydroponics System

jackalope
06-06-2009, 07:15 PM
Is this the future of food? Japanese 'plant factory' churn out immaculate vegetables

They look more like the brightly lit shelves of a chemists shop than the rows of a vegetable garden.

But according to their creators, these perfect looking vegetables could be the future of food.

In a perfectly controlled and totally sterile environment - uncontaminated by dirt, insects or fresh air - Japanese scientists are developing a new way of growing vegetables.

Clik ;) (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1190392/Is-future-food-Japanese-plant-factories-churn-immaculate-vegetables-24-hours-day.html)

rfeiller
08-01-2010, 11:44 AM
the japanese are always willing to spend the money and invest the time to produce the exceptional. their system certainly is impressive.
i can not ever see the USA spending the money to purchase anything other than the minimum needed to get by. that is the mentality of this countries citizens. if it were not true, we would not have china and walmarts supplying us.

i shipped several thousand discus fish to japan in the eighties, if one fish had an irregularity i would get a call at two in the morning demanding credit for the inferior animal. americans would invest a hundred dollars in an aquarium whereas the japanese would invest a thousand dollars for the same size set up.

badflash
08-01-2010, 06:43 PM
I wonder about the energy budget. Lighting costs a lot as does the energy to run it. Unless you get quite a premium for "sterile" plants, I don't see a profit. We need bugs to keep our immune system healthy. These sorts of systems don't help. It only uses one side of the equation. I think aquaponics is a better balance.

rfeiller
08-01-2010, 09:37 PM
i certainly agree with you. sterile food would not be good for our immune systems. we need constant exposure to bacteria, viruses, and parasites to maintain our immune systems. i also believe that hydroponics doesn't provide that, but bioponics wether aquaculture, manure, compost, or vermiculture will.

we don't know how japan is as far as subsidizing the power cost.
solar and or wind generators are the answer, with battery backup.

Oldandfound1
08-15-2010, 05:05 PM
20 or so years ago an article about Japanese watermelon growth aired on network news.
Because of the shape of refrigerator shelves, watermelons were made to grow up in cubical containers. A square or rectangular watermelon. :mrgreen: Heh!

Enjoy your day,
Dennis.
Oldandfound1