PDA

View Full Version : Budget build.

Basil1
09-30-2011, 08:45 AM
Trying to get started as cheaply as possible, using things I have around the house as much as possible. Making progess slowly as weather, finances and health allow. Doing some leafy greens inside in my fish tank. It's a 120 gallon with a few large messy fish. Water changes were a pain, at least 50% once a week just to keep the nitrates at an acceptable level. Took a plastic tote, drilled it full of holes and set it in on one side. Sheet of styro, with holes and plastic cups cut and slotted into them. Piece of napkin down to the bottom of the cup, leftover aquarium rock around it and spread napkin across top. Have a CFL fixture from when I had a planted tank for lighting.

For outside I have the remnants of an old 2x4 and dowel pond. 48x48x16 with an EDMP liner remnant from years ago. A submersible pump that I used for water changes circulates the water. Putting together a couple of old totes as GBs. Just need to do bell siphons and get gravel, the only big thing I don't have on hand. These will house tomatoes, peppers, butternut squash and what ever the mutant plant is that I can't ID yet for starters. If all works well will expand next year, again as health and finances allow.

Pictures will follow as things progress and I am looking forward to comments and criticisms of my budget build.

Basil1
09-30-2011, 08:47 AM
Question. One of the things inside is a gourmet lettuce mix. Just put the seeds in on Wednesday and sprouted a quarter inch already. Is this normal for lettuce?

Bioritize
09-30-2011, 01:20 PM
Yea, I grew basil and lettuce full size in under 1 month. This process rocks out the lettuces and leafy greens.

Basil1
10-01-2011, 09:25 AM
Here's a pic of the pond. As I said, very cheap and rough.

Basil1
10-01-2011, 03:13 PM
Few pics, the lettuce that is coming up and the crew powering it.
Lettuce
[attachment=2:ckemtjih]IMG_0337.JPG[/attachment:ckemtjih]
Oscar
[attachment=1:ckemtjih]IMG_0338.JPG[/attachment:ckemtjih]
BGK
[attachment=0:ckemtjih]IMG_0339.JPG[/attachment:ckemtjih]

Basil1
10-01-2011, 03:19 PM
The rest of the crew

Convict
[attachment=1:1c974d5u]IMG_0340.JPG[/attachment:1c974d5u]
Fire eel
[attachment=0:1c974d5u]IMG_0342.JPG[/attachment:1c974d5u]

They were not feeling photogenic today and the IPOD is not the best camera in the world for these type of shots, but there they are.

Basil1
10-05-2011, 07:52 AM
Finally got a siphon built and working. Empty test of 23 gallons showed 14 minutes to fill and 8 to empty. Doing some tweaking of drain now and filling with rock. Should be ready for planting soon.

davidstcldfl
10-05-2011, 10:59 AM
Cool...aren't bells fun. We can stand there and watch them for...well, too long... :lol:
Once your media is in, your fill and drain times should end up being about the same... :)

Basil1
10-05-2011, 12:10 PM
Cool...aren't bells fun. We van stand there and watch them for...well, too long... :lol:
Once your media is in, your fill and drain times should end up being about the same... :)

It's just as well that no one was watching. We can be fascinated by the simplest of things while others think you lost your mind.

urbanfarmer
10-05-2011, 12:41 PM
Finally got a siphon built and working. Empty test of 23 gallons showed 14 minutes to fill and 8 to empty. Doing some tweaking of drain now and filling with rock. Should be ready for planting soon.
The bell siphon or any auto siphon has 2 events:

1) When it "kicks" on to start the siphon

In case you want to speed up the testing phase, you don't have to wait the full 14 minutes to see what it does. If you help fill it up to JUST BEFORE the water level reaches the top opening of the inside tube, you can speed up the process and see what it does. It doesn't matter if you pour water in to speed it up because what will matter is the rate of water flow from the pump to create a vacuum by with fast enough water flow to purge out the air in the siphon line. DON'T add water though to help it create the vacuum. You can stop an inch or so (whatever is easy for you to see) before the maximum water level.

2) When it "cuts" off to stop the siphon

The same kind of thing here. You don't have to wait the full 8 minutes. You can take water out until just before it starts trying to break the siphon with air. The water flow of the siphon coming out is competing with the water flow of the pump pumping in. You basically want to see if the flow out overcomes the flow in by allowing air into the siphon to break it.

All in all, this should save you 20 minutes each cycle for testing purposes.

Or you can grab a book or go do something in the other room and observe the specific events of different cycles independently. It should yield the same result in the end.

:mrgreen:

MurCurY
10-05-2011, 01:23 PM
That veggie you're trying to id....I'd bet its a sweet potato.

Basil1
10-05-2011, 02:54 PM
That veggie you're trying to id....I'd bet its a sweet potato.

So why would someone promote it as spinach with directions for care and harvest of the leaves?

Basil1
10-07-2011, 05:10 AM
Question for anyone with outdoor setups, especially smaller ones. Do you have any issues with heavy rainfall? Like overflowing the system

davidstcldfl
10-07-2011, 05:18 AM
So why would someone promote it as spinach with directions for care and harvest of the leaves?
Don't know about the promaotion reason...? But, I do eat my sweetpotato leaves. They are like eating spinach. Oh, and tilapia love them. I break off a secdtion of vine and toss the whole thing in. Keeeps them busy for awhile....they'll even try to eat the vine.

Question for anyone with outdoor setups, especially smaller ones. Do you have any issues with heavy rainfall? Like overflowing the system

Yes...even the commercial system that were building....10.000 gals....overflows.
Some folks, have an extra sump, just for that purpose.

Basil1
10-07-2011, 05:25 AM
Don't know about the promaotion reason...? But, I do eat my sweetpotato leaves. They are like eating spinach. Oh, and tilapia love them. I break off a secdtion of vine and toss the whole thing in. Keeeps them busy for awhile....they'll even try to eat the vine.

Yes...even the commercial system that were building....10.000 gals....overflows.
Some folks, have an extra sump, just for that purpose.

Figured as much, you know how much rain we can get here in a short time. And the plant was id'ed as malabar spinach(Vietnamese).

Basil1
10-12-2011, 06:19 AM
So finally got it started, one small GB. Went with some koi for now as very hardy and cheap to feed. Already planning expansion, just have to get it past my financial institution.
[attachment=0:b98lvjlt]IMG_0355.JPG[/attachment:b98lvjlt]
[attachment=1:b98lvjlt]IMG_0354.JPG[/attachment:b98lvjlt]

Basil1
10-20-2011, 12:55 PM
So things starting to grow well but overrun with bugs. Ants walking all over the gravel in the GB, metallic green flies here and there and small flies about the size of gnats all over the spinach. Any recommendations?

stucco
10-20-2011, 04:27 PM
That looks nothing like my Malabar spinach :ugeek:

keith_r
10-21-2011, 06:15 AM
some folks use a "chilli spray", i'm sure the boards somewhere

Basil1
10-21-2011, 07:17 AM
That looks nothing like my Malabar spinach :ugeek:

Does yours have red stems and edges?

Basil1
10-21-2011, 07:18 AM
And now the biggest leaf on the pepper is curling and turning brown.