PDA

View Full Version : setting up a new tank...questions...

MurCurY
09-26-2011, 10:48 AM
So...I'm setting up the new tank I got later. I wanted to get some fish in there before the tilapia come. I was thinking some goldfish...feeders...cheap and shiny. Is this wise? I figured getting the goldfish in would mature the tank with bacteria so it would be ready to go when the tilapia show up in a few weeks, i have not ordered them yet.

Input?

keith_r
09-26-2011, 10:52 AM
do you have any kind of filtration set up? start the water circulating (at least) for a day or two before adding fish, even if they are "cheap" goldfish

bcotton
09-26-2011, 12:22 PM
I concur with keith about circulating the system for a couple of days before adding any fish. Personally, I prefer minnows to goldfish as eventually the tilapia will eat them. Goldfish will grow and someday you will have to decide what to do with goldfish that you dont want anymore.

brian

MurCurY
09-26-2011, 03:30 PM
Ok will do. Would it be a benefit to use some of the old tank water in the new tank?...like...a jumpstart on bacteria?

keith_r
09-26-2011, 03:42 PM
yup! a little used media (swap some new out with some old) from another system will help kickstart it as well