PDA

View Full Version : lighting question

brent
09-25-2011, 07:20 PM
I am moving my fish inside soo and have a question about florecent lights. Whjat is the difference between t12, t8, and t5 lights?

urbanfarmer
09-25-2011, 08:39 PM
They're different sizes. They are supposed to get more efficient as they get smaller, but the price goes up dramatically as well.

keith_r
09-26-2011, 05:26 AM
i'm using t8's, 32 watt.. i think t12's are 40 watts.. t5's are 28 watt, and are supposed to be the most efficient but do cost more. you can get shoplights at walmart that will hold 2 t8's for 10 bucks..

speaking of walmart... did you hear that Will Allen is working on a deal supplying local walmart stores? still not sure how i feel about this..

urbanfarmer
09-26-2011, 07:02 AM
i'm using t8's, 32 watt.. i think t12's are 40 watts.. t5's are 28 watt, and are supposed to be the most efficient but do cost more. you can get shoplights at walmart that will hold 2 t8's for 10 bucks..

speaking of walmart... did you hear that Will Allen is working on a deal supplying local walmart stores? still not sure how i feel about this..
I did not... interesting though...

davidstcldfl
09-26-2011, 07:20 AM
I didn't hear about Will Alen selling to wal-mart. But, I did hear not too long ago...they were wanting to start buying 'local raised' produce.
Hey, it's a step in the right direction for them... :)

dataman19
11-19-2011, 01:44 AM
T5s are almost true white lights as well....
Florescent lamps come in color bands, buy the heap bulbs you get blue lights. Look at the florescent color chart to decide upon which lamps to use.
http://www.lightbulbsdirect.com/page/001/CTGY/ColorTemp
Want to cover your bases put a K2400 lamp with a K6700 lamp in the same fixture (double lamp fixture, 2X each for a 4-lamp fixture)....
Incidentally, you can also get florescent Grow Lamp bulbs...
http://www.laststoplighting.com/fluores ... QgodrnVmqw (http://www.laststoplighting.com/fluorescent-grow-lights.html?source=googleadw&gclid=CKS88ounwqwCFQoaQgodrnVmqw)
Notice that almost all florescent grow bulbs are T5s???
Dave
Phoenix, AZ

brent
11-23-2011, 07:51 AM
Thanx for the lighting info. I see your in Az. Do you have a aquaponoics system set up? I am going to be in Az in Jan. and would love to see it.

urbanfarmer
11-23-2011, 12:44 PM
Color temp is purely a number made up for consumers. It is not scientifically useable.

T5s are almost true white lights as well....
Nope, they're pretty far off from "true white" if what you mean is sunlight. If you buy a cheap spectroscope and look at your light source, you will see it's very different from sunlight. You can get one for $20 and I used it to get some idea about my light sources. This is an example picture of what it shows you:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1a/Simple_spectroscope.jpg/482px-Simple_spectroscope.jpg

AND HERE IS HOW COLOR TEMPS WORK, YOU CAN ONLY GO ONE WAY WITH THE NUMBER (CALCULATE IT) BUT ONCE YOU HAVE THE NUMBER IS IS NOT VERY MEANINGFUL AND TELLS NOTHING OF THE LIGHT'S QUALITY FOR PLANTS:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/ba/PlanckianLocus.png/533px-PlanckianLocus.png

diane
11-30-2011, 10:53 AM
It is important to note that T5s usually require new fixtures and cannot be easily retrofitted into existing T8 or T12 systems.However, using fixtures specifically designed for T5 lamps optimizes performance and prevents the misapplication of other types of lamps – a common problem with T8 systems. Compared to metal-halide systems, T5s offer better lighting quality due to a higher color-rendering index, better light distribution, and lumen maintenance. t8 led tube (http://www.solunagreen.com/led-tube-lights/)

foodchain
12-13-2011, 11:27 AM
This is an old thread, but one that I don't beleive has been fully addressed. I was into fraggology for many years, and a lot of the above topic is frequently discussed among many reef keepers as they are constantly trying to improve both the color spectrum and the watts/gallon. The latter doesn't apply directly to our growbeds, but the concept should be noted as it sheds light so to speak on the pentrating limits of water. And on the watts per sq inch which will have profound impacts on the indoor grow bed. It's of my opinion, that the Kalvins are more important in general.
Many reefers will have for instance in their PC's will have one bank of more of the blue, or actinik lighting, and the other a 50/50 or something along those lines. Some of this is for aesthetics, while still more of it is used for the zooanthalea algae that require it to continue production in the soft mantles of clams and many anenomes. This is a far broader topic than I could possibly cover, and has a great many different opinions and changing technology on. I have noticed that the industry now is moving more towards high powered LED's to reduce the heat production from metal halides and reduce power consumption while increasing production. Google a couple reefing forums, talk to a couple hydro shops and you will see what I am talking about. There's more than one way to skin a cat.

foodchain
12-13-2011, 11:51 AM
In rereading the above, I should connect the dots. Both the algae suspended in the soft tissues mentioned above, and most plants we would put in our grow beds need very similar light, based on what I am reading/have read. Both require the right types of colors, and intensity to complete photosynthesis at peak production. So low light, or wrong light will eventually lead to stress and then death. But also there's a certain point where simply adding more light, even if the right kind is pointless as their growth has a max output of production, and therefore is wasted resources. I am still working on where that point is. In my work/projects I am finding this is different, either due to the bulbs aging and not producing as intensely, shortening wave lengths, etc. Or different due to the type of plant, or stage of growth it's in...I just don't know all the details yet.