PDA

View Full Version : Desert aquaponics

quietlike
09-21-2011, 03:01 PM
Hi I live in Las vegas, and I am planning my aquaponics set up. I have a question though, will the water temp get too hot sitting under the sun? it will be shaded a little by the trays, but I dont know if it can handle the heat. Can the veggies? It was my understanding that it would be ok to grow veggies here, and they wont dry out as long as they are regularly watered, which obv. aquaponics does. Can anyone help? thanks!

urbanfarmer
09-21-2011, 05:27 PM
Hi I live in Las vegas, and I am planning my aquaponics set up. I have a question though, will the water temp get too hot sitting under the sun? it will be shaded a little by the trays, but I dont know if it can handle the heat. Can the veggies? It was my understanding that it would be ok to grow veggies here, and they wont dry out as long as they are regularly watered, which obv. aquaponics does. Can anyone help? thanks!
Put a large tub of water outside and check the temperatures throughout the day. This will give you SOME idea of what your system will do because the larger the volume of water the less the temperature will move.

davidstcldfl
09-21-2011, 08:22 PM
Hi quietlike, I lived in Las Vegas for about 5 years....(many years ago.) In the summer you will need shade cloth. Look for alumi-net. It'll be a little cooler under it, then the dark shade cloth. Manufacture says cooler by 20 %. But then again, when your air temp is breaking 100 every day in the summer....your water will warm anyway.
I had a small dirt garden back then. I used some lattice over my plants when it was really hot. It helped 'some'.

quietlike
09-22-2011, 02:27 AM
so do you have an aquaponics set up now? what do you grow, is it outdoors or indoor?

davidstcldfl
09-22-2011, 08:29 AM
Hi quietlike, Yes I have a backyard system and I'm working on building a commercial system too.
Backyard...
Dave's ground breaking news. (http://www.diyaquaponics.com/forum/showthread.php?224-Dave-s-ground-breaking-news)

commercial...
The farm (http://www.diyaquaponics.com/forum/showthread.php?967-The-farm)

urbanfarmer
09-23-2011, 09:33 AM
If you give us a better idea of what you are doing, your system size, the lay of your land, we might be able to better serve you. There's no simple answer or one-size-fits-all type answer. There are many passive and active technologies out there capable of cooling your system during the day and heating it at night (I assume your temps drop drastically in that climate).

Every unique geographic area has its own set of challenges. Even withing the same state, county, or city. Give us more information or get further along in your project and then send us pictures (each one is worth 1,000 words). There are a lot of clever people on this forum; so, we can definitely give you some decent suggestions! :mrgreen: