PDA

View Full Version : Dropping PH

wh33t
09-18-2011, 10:48 PM
Hey guys,

My tank today dropped quite drastically in PH all of a sudden. It was moving slowly downwards yesterday but today it's obviously accelerating. I attribute this to the huge ammonia boost the system was given the other day via some human urine, about 4 days ago. The ammonia levels were immediately 8ppm or past 8ppm (I'm not sure how high the meter only goes to 8) after peeing in the Aquarium. The nitrites slowly came up over the past few days and now it too is also at the max level the test kit measures or higher (5ppm) and my Nitrates are at about 40ppm I figure, definitely not higher than 80ppm.

So I presume all of the nitrites are responsible for the downward PH spike. I presume I can do a 50% water change but I'm now also brewing some of that egg shell calcium fertilizer (the egg is dissolving as we speak). Am I correct in understanding that I can use this calcium fertilizer freely as an organic PH UP solution? Ex. I can't harm the fishies or plants by pouring too much in?

cedarswamp
09-19-2011, 02:24 AM
Hey guys,

My tank today dropped quite drastically in PH all of a sudden. It was moving slowly downwards yesterday but today it's obviously accelerating. I attribute this to the huge ammonia boost the system was given the other day via some human urine, about 4 days ago. The ammonia levels were immediately 8ppm or past 8ppm (I'm not sure how high the meter only goes to 8) after peeing in the Aquarium. The nitrites slowly came up over the past few days and now it too is also at the max level the test kit measures or higher (5ppm) and my Nitrates are at about 40ppm I figure, definitely not higher than 80ppm.

So I presume all of the nitrites are responsible for the downward PH spike. I presume I can do a 50% water change but I'm now also brewing some of that egg shell calcium fertilizer (the egg is dissolving as we speak). Am I correct in understanding that I can use this calcium fertilizer freely as an organic PH UP solution? Ex. I can't harm the fishies or plants by pouring too much in?

Any time you drasticaolly change your water parameters over a short period of time even if it's from bad to good, you risk the chance of harming your fish.

urbanfarmer
09-19-2011, 02:55 AM
Hey guys,

THAT IS REALLY COOL! :-)

What IS the pH in question? I would LEAVE it alone. If your pH is somewhere between 5.5 and 8.2, just leave it until the bacteria are more established in about a week. Thoroughly rinse some eggshells and put them in the grow bed. DO NOT CRUSH THEM INTO TINY PIECES. Just put the large pieces in there (better yet, keep it easy to remove). The pH will raise and hover in the 7's once this balances out.

wh33t
09-19-2011, 01:09 PM
Hey guys,

THAT IS REALLY COOL! :-)

What IS the pH in question? I would LEAVE it alone. If your pH is somewhere between 5.5 and 8.2, just leave it until the bacteria are more established in about a week. Thoroughly rinse some eggshells and put them in the grow bed. DO NOT CRUSH THEM INTO TINY PIECES. Just put the large pieces in there (better yet, keep it easy to remove). The pH will raise and hover in the 7's once this balances out.

I left yesterday to visit my brother out of town and it was 6.3 and I came home and it was ph-5.1 eight hours or so later. I realize I'm probably challenging my fish a lot. I dunno what else to say except that I'm still new at this lol.

I'll toss the egg shells in!

keith_r
09-20-2011, 07:59 AM
you can get "shell grit" from feed mills, or tractor supply type places..
i put some in a sock and hang in the tank
this will help bring your ph up to around 7.2 to 7.4, slowly

wh33t
09-20-2011, 08:23 AM

Oh nice! I have some for my chickens! I'll try that as well.

urbanfarmer
09-20-2011, 05:38 PM
Sounds like exactly the same thing! :mrgreen:

keith_r
09-21-2011, 06:15 AM
my first couple of additions of shells were left over from dinner (stuffed clams a couple times, mussels once, washed thoroughly).. i just took a hammer to the shells and added to the gb's

urbanfarmer
09-21-2011, 06:34 PM
my first couple of additions of shells were left over from dinner (stuffed clams a couple times, mussels once, washed thoroughly).. i just took a hammer to the shells and added to the gb's
About how much did you add and to what size of a system? What did you see happen?

keith_r
09-22-2011, 05:20 AM
i have 100gal gb, first time i added a dozen egg shells dried and crushed, and a dozen clam shells i smashed up.. ph went from 6.4 up to high 6's and stayed there.. i added another dozen clam shells after a month or two.. ph has been sitting in the low 7's, usually 7.2
that's with 150gal ft, 45 yellow perch, a few dozen rosy reds, and a couple dozen crayfish

urbanfarmer
09-23-2011, 06:01 AM
i have 100gal gb, first time i added a dozen egg shells dried and crushed, and a dozen clam shells i smashed up.. ph went from 6.4 up to high 6's and stayed there.. i added another dozen clam shells after a month or two.. ph has been sitting in the low 7's, usually 7.2
that's with 150gal ft, 45 yellow perch, a few dozen rosy reds, and a couple dozen crayfish
Good to know. Thank you

wh33t
09-23-2011, 10:25 AM
Am I correct in understanding that "nitrites" are what drops your PH very quickly? It seems like anytime I test for nitrite and actually read more than zero my PH has already fallen a few points.

urbanfarmer
09-23-2011, 10:46 AM
Am I correct in understanding that "nitrites" are what drops your PH very quickly? It seems like anytime I test for nitrite and actually read more than zero my PH has already fallen a few points.
Generally, no.

It is possible, however, but very, VERY, unlikely. Let's not explore this any further.

An enormous amount of nitrification can cause a significant pH change. Am I correct in assuming you are still pouring ammonium in the system?

If not, it could be all the urine (ammonium) you put in initially still working its way through the cycle. Remember, your kit only reads up to 8 ppm ammonia/um. If it was 800 ppm or 8 ppm, it wouldn't know the difference. Just give it time. The egg shells will help.

wh33t
09-23-2011, 11:10 AM
Generally, no.

It is possible, however, but very, VERY, unlikely. Let's not explore this any further.

An enormous amount of nitrification can cause a significant pH change. Am I correct in assuming you are still pouring ammonium in the system?

If not, it could be all the urine you put in. Remember, your kit only reads up to 8 ppm ammonia/um. If it was 800 ppm or 8 ppm, it wouldn't know the difference. Just give it time. The egg shells will help.

The very first time I added urine into the system of course the whole system went haywire. The ammonia levels dropped back to 0ppm and then the nitrites went sky high and then eventually so did the nitrates. All was good for a day or two, but now my nitrates are dropping off again and my fish still aren't producing the waste I require them too! I need more fish but they are still mysteriously dying (and yet I have about 12 that seem to be fine?!).

So I peed in it again, the ammonia levels rose to about 2ppm and now I have nitrites in there showing on the test tube. The PH moved from 6.6 to 6.2 over night which is probably acceptable but once again I have noticed that the Ph moved down when the nitrites moved up! I thought I was witnessing some kind of pattern.

urbanfarmer
09-23-2011, 11:23 AM
Generally, no.

If not, it could be all the urine you put in. Remember, your kit only reads up to 8 ppm ammonia/um. If it was 800 ppm or 8 ppm, it wouldn't know the difference. Just give it time. The egg shells will help.

The very first time I added urine into the system of course the whole system went haywire. The ammonia levels dropped back to 0ppm and then the nitrites went sky high and then eventually so did the nitrates. All was good for a day or two, but now my nitrates are dropping off again and my fish still aren't producing the waste I require them too! I need more fish but they are still mysteriously dying (and yet I have about 12 that seem to be fine?!).

So I peed in it again, the ammonia levels rose to about 2ppm and now I have nitrites in there showing on the test tube. The PH moved from 6.6 to 6.2 over night which is probably acceptable but once again I have noticed that the Ph moved down when the nitrites moved up! I thought I was witnessing some kind of pattern.
The pH will go up as the bacteria consume the ammonia and nitrite. You saw your nitrate hit 0? Are the plants doing poorly? I think it's time for a picture! :D

wh33t
09-23-2011, 11:35 AM
Generally, no.

The pH will go up as the bacteria consume the ammonia and nitrite. You saw your nitrate hit 0? Are the plants doing poorly? I think it's time for a picture! :D

No, they didn't hit zero, they were on there way to zero though! It was orange on the meter, which is around 40ppm I believe.

urbanfarmer
09-23-2011, 01:40 PM
I haven't been able to concentrate because I have lectures and all kinds of sounds going in the background while doing my homework. I'm focusing on like 10 things at the same time, but I have a break now; so, excuse my poor diagnosis process previously... I should have asked:

How old is your system? A few weeks from the sounds of it!

Are you in the process of cycling your system? If so, you need to let it just do its thing. Don't add fish yet, but you can definitely add plants.

What's your water temperature like? This could be an issue, but I assume it's not very cold?

How's your dissolved oxygen? If you don't know, what are you doing for aeration?

wh33t
09-23-2011, 05:34 PM
I haven't been able to concentrate because I have lectures and all kinds of sounds going in the background while doing my homework. I'm focusing on like 10 things at the same time, but I have a break now; so, excuse my poor diagnosis process previously... I should have asked:

How old is your system? A few weeks from the sounds of it!

Are you in the process of cycling your system? If so, you need to let it just do its thing. Don't add fish yet, but you can definitely add plants.

What's your water temperature like? This could be an issue, but I assume it's not very cold?

How's your dissolved oxygen? If you don't know, what are you doing for aeration?

The system is just a few weeks ;) Tomorrow it will be 3 weeks.

I suppose the system is still cycling but there is already enough bacteria to complete the nitrogen cycle as the filter I use on my pond is actually my old hydroton filled grow bed. It uses flood and drain, drains every 5 minutes or so.

Temperature varies between 20c and 22c.

For Aeration I have a 1600gph pump that is split three ways. One tap goes to the bio-filter f&d bed as previously mentioned. One goes to the flood and drain table and the last one goes to a home made venturi that blasts so much air into the water you can't even see through the air-like curtain it creates.

So I presume for Aeration I'm doing quite well.

Thanks so much to everyone as well for taking all the time to communicate with me :D

lindajamison76
09-27-2011, 06:08 PM
Well, great work! You have helped me to improve my knowledge about this field. Thank you so much for sharing.

Watch Dream House Movie Online Free (http://fullmoviesonlinefree.net/)

urbanfarmer
09-27-2011, 06:45 PM
Well, great work! You have helped me to improve my knowledge about this field. Thank you so much for sharing.

Watch Dream House Movie Online Free (http://fullmoviesonlinefree.net/)
Nice to have you with us lindajamison76 :mrgreen: Welcome to the addiction! :lol: