PDA

View Full Version : Small scale AP Help!!!!!

alex281
09-18-2011, 02:52 AM
hey all ive read a lot about aquaponics lately and i went ahead and decided to build my own system!! :D

However space is a problem and this will be an indoor setup. as useful as this site has been i havent really found the sure answer i was looking for my specific tank size and set up. so here it is!

I was hoping to use a 10 gallon fish tank aquarium. i went online an ordered a pump thats pumps 100 GPH at a maximum height of 3 feet. If you can please let me know if this is the size that is good for a 10 gallon tank, and also a size suitable for this pump if not.

my second question is how do i cycle! i understand that i have to let the water from the tap sit for a day and pump through the system, but when do i add plants and when do i add fish?

also my system set up type is going to be just the aquarium and a growbed with an autosiphon with hydroton.

Thanks in advance! :D

davidstcldfl
09-18-2011, 06:24 AM
Hi Alex, welcome to the forum... :D

You'll find a lot of great info if you read through....Aquaponics 101 by Oliver.
Here is the link....
viewforum.php?f=112 (http://diyaquaponics.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=112)

alex281
09-18-2011, 12:39 PM
Hi Alex, welcome to the forum... :D

You'll find a lot of great info if you read through....Aquaponics 101 by Oliver.
Here is the link....
viewforum.php?f=112 (http://diyaquaponics.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=112)

i did i just cant seem to really piece out if my pump is good enough or to what size that pump itself can support.
its a great guide but it kinda sticks towards the 1000 liter plus systems.

JCO
09-18-2011, 01:46 PM
Welcome to the show....pull up an easy chair, relax and stay awhile. New voices are always a welcome addition to our family..! Whatever questions you have on you mind, this is the place to get the answers so pick a topic of your interest and start your own thread and Enjoy. Please go to your profile and put in your city and state. There might be other members close by. :mrgreen:

alex281
09-18-2011, 06:16 PM
Welcome to the show....pull up an easy chair, relax and stay awhile. New voices are always a welcome addition to our family..! Whatever questions you have on you mind, this is the place to get the answers so pick a topic of your interest and start your own thread and Enjoy. Please go to your profile and put in your city and state. There might be other members close by. :mrgreen:

Thanks for the welcome :D

any insight to the questions i have proposed?

JCO
09-18-2011, 09:17 PM
Check this link for the answers to almost any question you can come up with. :mrgreen:

http://diyaquaponics.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=112

alex281
09-19-2011, 01:35 AM
Dear all. i have read the guide. many times for that matter, before i even created an account. please stop linking me to it

I would really appreciate it if you had a specific answer to my exact setup or suggested set up as guidelines wont be as useful thank you.

stucco
09-19-2011, 03:10 AM
The 10 gallon is a bit small but will work. If it were me… I would run your grow beds constantly flooded. This will reduce the level fluctuation in the tank and allow for more beds. The pump sounds ok but, a rule of thumb is to turn the water volume over once an hour and you don’t want your fish in too much current either. For the cycling try and get some filter crud from another system/aquarium or throw a few cheep feeders in and let sit for about six weeks for this you will need to get a test kit from the aquarium shop and check.
O and welcome!

alex281
09-20-2011, 03:18 AM
The 10 gallon is a bit small but will work. If it were me… I would run your grow beds constantly flooded. This will reduce the level fluctuation in the tank and allow for more beds. The pump sounds ok but, a rule of thumb is to turn the water volume over once an hour and you don’t want your fish in too much current either. For the cycling try and get some filter crud from another system/aquarium or throw a few cheep feeders in and let sit for about six weeks for this you will need to get a test kit from the aquarium shop and check.
O and welcome!

hahhahhhah thank you!!!

i guess the feeders is a great way to start the bacteria cycle. Should i also add the seeds as i add the feeders? at what point do i switch over to goldfish(my guess is after the feeders stop dying :p)?

Also how do i keep the water clean for them? do i just let it cycle in the system? or is it like a sacrifice where they put waste out until the bacteria comes and they stop dying.(at which point i add nice fish.)

JCO
09-20-2011, 06:01 AM
Again, Check this link for the answers to almost any question you can come up with. The technology of Aquaponics isn't really that complicated, however it does require some attentioni to detail. You will either learn the general principles by reading in the beginning or by trial and error experience.

The link below saves you time and answers the majority of question for a "Newbie" but will take a little time and effort on your part to read through it. After that, if there is something that you can't fathom, pop the questions. :mrgreen:

Bioritize
09-20-2011, 10:26 AM
I built a 40 gallon system and it is no where near large enough for what I want to do.

I would go with at least a 150 gallons. Try the rubbermaid stock tanks. They are a decent price and you can get them anywhere.

10 gallons may be ok for Fry but I would not want to try and grow out any quantity of fish. I also do not like feeder fish because they are notorious carriers of various diseases. I would buy a small pet store fish that is not a feeder. Pladids or something.

Go bigger.

bcotton
09-20-2011, 10:33 AM
/sarcasm on
Yeah dude, forums are not for posting, just read the archives and stfu.
/sarcasm off

The seeds have their own stored food in the form of starch so you can go ahead and plant them in the beginning. Many seeds take 7-10 days to sprout and most plants can use ammonia for food while the system is still maturing.

If your feeder fish die, you are doing it wrong. Just start with a couple. Starting with goldfish is fine. After a month you can add more. Invest in at least an ammonia test and a ph test. There are like $7ea at your local pet store. It takes the guesswork out of what is going on and noone is going to be able to begin help you troublshoot problems without at least ph and ammonia readings.

brian

alex281
09-20-2011, 02:42 PM
Again, Check this link for the answers to almost any question you can come up with. The technology of Aquaponics isn't really that complicated, however it does require some attentioni to detail. You will either learn the general principles by reading in the beginning or by trial and error experience.

The link below saves you time and answers the majority of question for a "Newbie" but will take a little time and effort on your part to read through it. After that, if there is something that you can't fathom, pop the questions. :mrgreen:

seriously its geting annoying to see that thing. especially since you posted it twice. i told you, i read it, many times. maybe i want a different option or second opinion on exactly what i should do. furthermore i just want an answer to the specific question i asked. if all you really do all day is post a link to that guide then you need to shut down the forums and just have that guide there.
i asked for a answer not a re directory. i understand your helping but if u really want to help it would be simple to just answer the question i asked.

thank you

alex281
09-20-2011, 02:47 PM
/sarcasm on
/sarcasm off

The seeds have their own stored food in the form of starch so you can go ahead and plant them in the beginning. Many seeds take 7-10 days to sprout and most plants can use ammonia for food while the system is still maturing.

If your feeder fish die, you are doing it wrong. Just start with a couple. Starting with goldfish is fine. After a month you can add more. Invest in at least an ammonia test and a ph test. There are like $7ea at your local pet store. It takes the guesswork out of what is going on and noone is going to be able to begin help you troublshoot problems without at least ph and ammonia readings.

brian

Thank you so much. i was about to have a rage at the forum for that guide.
i guess your right. ill go ahead and add the fish and plants at once and start monitoring.

AND FOR ALL THOSE WHO ARE WONDERING.
im not going to ask about ph and ammonia levels BECAUSE I READ THE GUIDE.

THANK YOU FOR THE PEOPLE WHO ANSWERED MY SPECIFIC QUESTIONS.

alex281
09-20-2011, 02:48 PM
I built a 40 gallon system and it is no where near large enough for what I want to do.

I would go with at least a 150 gallons. Try the rubbermaid stock tanks. They are a decent price and you can get them anywhere.

10 gallons may be ok for Fry but I would not want to try and grow out any quantity of fish. I also do not like feeder fish because they are notorious carriers of various diseases. I would buy a small pet store fish that is not a feeder. Pladids or something.

Go bigger.

thanks for the tip, apparently im having a hard time finding a 10 gallon aquarium anyways. those rubbermaid totes are sure starting to look good!

Basil1
09-20-2011, 02:54 PM
So only question you have left is if the pump is sufficient for your needs. Thinking that 10x turnover per hour might be a bit much but will definitely handle the volume. That now should conclude your knowledge needs as you have already learned everything else already.

alex281
09-20-2011, 02:57 PM
So only question you have left is if the pump is sufficient for your needs. Thinking that 10x turnover per hour might be a bit much but will definitely handle the volume. That now should conclude your knowledge needs as you have already learned everything else already.

hahaha yea it is a bit much im thinking about going for a rubbermaid tote now as i cant find a stupid aquarium for free on craigslist.

p.s. i have 50 dollars left and only the pump. i think i can still make the system :D

Basil1
09-20-2011, 03:09 PM
Do you have a thrift store like Salvation Army or Goodwill nearby? They frequently have tanks in there cheap as well as plastic totes.

JCO
09-20-2011, 06:21 PM
Bcotton & alex281..we are not going to start a pissing contest here....be advised.
As for the remarks below:-

/sarcasm on
/sarcasm off

seriously its geting annoying to see that thing. especially since you posted it twice. i told you, i read it, many times. maybe i want a different option or second opinion on exactly what i should do. furthermore i just want an answer to the specific question i asked. if all you really do all day is post a link to that guide then you need to shut down the forums and just have that guide there.
i asked for a answer not a re directory. i understand your helping but if u really want to help it would be simple to just answer the question i asked.

I did give you an answer, but you didn't want to hear it.

However, since you both decided to go public with your remarks, then I will go public.

Such behavior is disrespectful of me and the members of this forum that have worked for the past 6 years to build a place of learning to be able to disseminate the Technology of Aquaponics to the world and such remarks and attitudes are not acceptable here.

Please reframe from any such remarks in your post in the future. If you have a problem with me or how I run this forum, that’s what a PM is for. I will be glad to listen to any and all complaints.

Realize that the reason I referred you to that link in the first place is because it was decided by the forum members that it was a good way to assist in lessoning the repetition of simple questions by beginners and was created to assist the “NEWBIES” in learning the ground work of Aquaponics before they launched into action. It was designed so that if any questions arose later out of actual experience, at least the questions would be of some consequence to other members.

The members who post regularly have answered the simple beginner questions time and time again for each "NEWBIE" that joins the form and it is not their responsibility to do so if that person doesn't take it upon theirself to become self-informed before starting with questions.

I would venture to say there is not a question that you could ask that has not been asked numerous times before in one or more of the numerous member threads on this forum. Think for a moment and you will realize that after a while it gets to the point that we feel as though we are holding the hand of Kindergarteners rather than adults.

I truly appreciate your interest in Aquaponics and desire to learn, and as member here, hopefully you will become a part of the solid Aquaponics Community that we have built.

I also appreciate the fact that you joined this forum for that purpose however you should show some initiative and take it upon yourself to try to learn as much as possible before you start with the questions. Go from topic to topic and thread to thread and you will see what I mean. The knowledge is there if you are willing to study first and become a student of the Technology. Then anything you don't understand, any member will be more than happy to assist.

There are dedicated members on this forum from all over the world who are all only to happy to help therefore you should show some respect for them by being more responsible in your efforts to learn. :mrgreen:

alex281
09-24-2011, 12:32 AM
Bcotton & alex281..we are not going to start a pissing contest here....be advised.
As for the remarks below:-

[quote]/sarcasm on
/sarcasm off

I did give you an answer, but you didn't want to hear it.

However, since you both decided to go public with your remarks, then I will go public.

Such behavior is disrespectful of me and the members of this forum that have worked for the past 6 years to build a place of learning to be able to disseminate the Technology of Aquaponics to the world and such remarks and attitudes are not acceptable here.

Please reframe from any such remarks in your post in the future. If you have a problem with me or how I run this forum, that’s what a PM is for. I will be glad to listen to any and all complaints.

Realize that the reason I referred you to that link in the first place is because it was decided by the forum members that it was a good way to assist in lessoning the repetition of simple questions by beginners and was created to assist the “NEWBIES” in learning the ground work of Aquaponics before they launched into action. It was designed so that if any questions arose later out of actual experience, at least the questions would be of some consequence to other members.

The members who post regularly have answered the simple beginner questions time and time again for each "NEWBIE" that joins the form and it is not their responsibility to do so if that person doesn't take it upon theirself to become self-informed before starting with questions.

I would venture to say there is not a question that you could ask that has not been asked numerous times before in one or more of the numerous member threads on this forum. Think for a moment and you will realize that after a while it gets to the point that we feel as though we are holding the hand of Kindergarteners rather than adults.

I truly appreciate your interest in Aquaponics and desire to learn, and as member here, hopefully you will become a part of the solid Aquaponics Community that we have built.

I also appreciate the fact that you joined this forum for that purpose however you should show some initiative and take it upon yourself to try to learn as much as possible before you start with the questions. Go from topic to topic and thread to thread and you will see what I mean. The knowledge is there if you are willing to study first and become a student of the Technology. Then anything you don't understand, any member will be more than happy to assist.

There are dedicated members on this forum from all over the world who are all only to happy to help therefore you should show some respect for them by being more responsible in your efforts to learn. :mrgreen:[/quote:28qjqjgl]

Completely agree with you on this, i was just flustered as i wasnt getting the information i needed and perhaps i didnt make myself clear about my stand point and where i was coming from.(had a bad day.)

stucco
09-24-2011, 04:09 AM
There are some really good small systems made of blue barrels.

urbanfarmer
09-24-2011, 06:06 AM
O and welcome!

hahhahhhah thank you!!!

i guess the feeders is a great way to start the bacteria cycle. Should i also add the seeds as i add the feeders? at what point do i switch over to goldfish(my guess is after the feeders stop dying :p)?

Also how do i keep the water clean for them? do i just let it cycle in the system? or is it like a sacrifice where they put waste out until the bacteria comes and they stop dying.(at which point i add nice fish.)
Hello, there is a wealth of info that was put together by Oliver: viewforum.php?f=112 (http://diyaquaponics.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=112)

If you still have questions, feel free to ask!

EDIT: Oops, just got through page 2 and 3 of this thread :lol: :lol: :lol: