PDA

View Full Version : Do I Really Need a Heater??

thyme4soup
09-10-2011, 03:13 PM
hi this is my first topic. Im trying to have as little energy usage as possible for my system and i am wondering if i really have to use a heater. i live in san diego and i am thinking of getting channel catfish who, from what i heard/read, are pretty good with cold water, so is there really a need for a heater?

urbanfarmer
09-10-2011, 04:59 PM
Greetings Earthling, and welcome! :mrgreen:

davidstcldfl
09-10-2011, 06:49 PM
Hi thyme4soup, welcome... :D
I know it's mild in San Diego in the winter. What do you think your av low are, in the winter ?
I've heard cats are pretty tuff. Maybe someone with experiance with them will be able to guide you. I do have channel cats, but they are in the same water as my tilapia....in the winter, they get to enjoy the warm water too.

urbanfarmer
09-11-2011, 03:51 AM
Maybe not the best source, but...

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/catfish/channel.php

Channel fish are best kept in water with pH 6-8 and a temperature of 77-82°F / 25-28°C but Channel Catfish can accept a wide variety of temperatures without taking damage. Their growth rate are highly dependent on water temperature and maximal growth are achieved in 85° F/ 29.5° C although this hardly is a goal for most aquarium owners.

urbanfarmer
09-11-2011, 03:52 AM
Another .com source confirms the same...
http://msucares.com/aquaculture/catfish/biology.html

Channel catfish tolerate a wide range of environmental conditions. The optimum water temperature for growth is 75 to 85º F, but fish can survive at temperatures from just above freezing to nearly 100º F. Growth is slow at temperatures less than 65º F and feeding activity essentially stops at temperatures below about 50º F. The maximum water temperature at which channel catfish can survive indefinitely is about 95º F and fish survive only briefly at temperatures above 100º F.

If TCLynx see this she can chime in. She raises them, but I THINK she doesn't keep them over winter even in Florida because it gets too cold to be productive. I'm not sure though; hopefully, she can elaborate.

keith_r
09-12-2011, 05:51 AM
she does keep them over winter in florida, they just won't grow much over winter..
after you get your system set up, monitor water temps over a year to help you determine what you have to work with without adding heat..
you might be able to do 2 "seasons" of fish, a warm water fish like tilapia over the summer, and trout over the winter...
hard to tell until you start up and monitor what you have

bcotton
09-15-2011, 09:04 AM
I have been told catfish and perch survive in cold winters in texas. I was told by a local fish supplier that his tanks will freeze over and the fish just sit still at the bottom until it thaws. I plan to keep my catfish and blugill outside over the winter here in dallas. (However, i do plan to heat enough to keep the water from freezing. )

As with anything with this hobby, i make a plan but i am not rigid about keeping to it.. If it looks like the fish arent doing well, i will drop a bucket heater in there or move them into the garage. If you remind me in jan or feb, i will update on how it's going.

brian

JCO
09-15-2011, 01:57 PM
According to the size of the tank, you can buy stock tank heaters that will keep the water from freezing altogether or at least around the heater itself allowing for some open water. :mrgreen:

bcotton
09-16-2011, 02:15 PM
Yeah, I didnt mean to imply that the tanks froze completely.. Just a sheet on the top.. probably not more than 1-2 inches.

brian

keith_r
09-17-2011, 06:05 AM
just keep an open area in the ice so your fish don't die from low dissolved oxygen

thyme4soup
11-15-2011, 09:40 PM
thanks to all for replying. My system has been running smoothly for a month fairly uneventfully. The water won't get cold enough for icing, and I have been running the system on a bunch of cheap (like 20 cents) goldfish sold as feed for other fish. Only two have died, and one seemed like an airbladder complication. Thinking the catfish will be fine without the heater, but i got one just in case.
Thanks to all again

foodchain
11-16-2011, 08:04 AM
My catfish stay outside year round here in North Texas. With that said, when checking temps pay attention to water temps, not air temps. Water here is typically about 7-10 degrees cooler than air temps when looking at lows. Deep, slow moving water holds heat longer than fast moving shallow water. Heater may not be a bad idea, even if a small one...even if not needed. Higher temp means higher metabolism, which means faster growth and feed coversion. Also increases possibility of breeding. But it does decrease DO. I guess whether or not you need a heater depends a lot more on how big your water volume is, in the ground or above ground, indoor/outdoor, etc. And...how big your cats are, as little ones are more sensitive than older. However, I have fished cats out from under ice on the St Lawrence river in NY and they were plenty live till I ate em. So, I think lower temps would just slow them down, and slow down consumption of food. Ice doesn't seem to be a problem, as long as not completly frozen over. DO is a big issue. If not a lot of water, try bullhead. Best of luck.

zenel
04-23-2012, 10:50 PM
Hello everyone...Great to read this thread.

nancie35us
09-29-2013, 02:28 PM
I have debated using a heater (Southwest Ohio) versus turning loose the tank fish into our stocked pond, then starting over in spring with a new batch in the tank. I have a fish hatchery just around the corner from where I live, so plan to discuss the matter with them. Short of heating the whole greenhouse, there probably aren't many plants I can grow during the winter anyway, so I'm still working on this question.

Aloha Don
10-19-2013, 02:36 PM
There are many ways that have been discussed on this forum for heating a greenhouse and continue growing....Dont give up....