PDA

View Full Version : Trouble PH

mbrown
09-06-2011, 06:52 AM
Hey everyone, trying to get use to this afternoon shift i was transfered to. Anyway I am still unable to lower my PH, I believe its my grow media. I used 5G gravel, wont do that again. Tryin to save money screwed me in the long run. My PH is running in the 9 to 10 range. Fish dont seem to mind, plants are growing slow and are small. tried just about everything I could think of to lower it but no luck. Also tried everything that some of you suggested still low PH. My next step is to tear down the whole thing and go back to growing in dirt. I had much better plants in dirt and a whole bunch cheaper, this is just too much work and money for the problems I am having.

urbanfarmer
09-06-2011, 09:46 AM
How many gallons is your system? Can you give a summary of what you have tried?

Do you have a TDS/EC meter?

keith_r
09-06-2011, 10:11 AM
it sounds like your media is causing the high ph? is it limestone? you should be able to swap it out with river rocks..

if you put some of your media into a cup of vinegar does it bubble?
or is your source water high ph?

we need details

urbanfarmer
09-09-2011, 01:06 PM
Hey everyone, trying to get use to this afternoon shift i was transfered to. Anyway I am still unable to lower my PH, I believe its my grow media. I used 5G gravel, wont do that again. Tryin to save money screwed me in the long run. My PH is running in the 9 to 10 range. Fish dont seem to mind, plants are growing slow and are small. tried just about everything I could think of to lower it but no luck. Also tried everything that some of you suggested still low PH. My next step is to tear down the whole thing and go back to growing in dirt. I had much better plants in dirt and a whole bunch cheaper, this is just too much work and money for the problems I am having.
Any updates?

kenney3
09-15-2011, 02:33 PM
May i ask how long the system has been running?

rfeiller
09-17-2011, 08:25 AM
if you went to the raft system, not knowing how your system is built, it would not cost much to convert too. take the bell off of the standpipe, throw in some sheets of styrofoam. darnest thing, the plants don't know the difference between net pots and plastic dixie cups with holes. some things may not grow but many will and that's a heck of a lot easier then dirt! water in water out just keep the roots away from the drain, i wasn't careful and had niagra falls in the greenhouse awhile back! :D

bsfman
09-17-2011, 10:00 AM
if you went to the raft system, not knowing how your system is built, it would not cost much to convert too. take the bell off of the standpipe, throw in some sheets of styrofoam. darnest thing, the plants don't know the difference between net pots and plastic dixie cups with holes. some things may not grow but many will and that's a heck of a lot easier then dirt! water in water out just keep the roots away from the drain, i wasn't careful and had niagra falls in the greenhouse awhile back! :D

I vote for the floating raft system too! I am having great success with a variety of plants in mine. The only thing I've tried so far that does not seem to like floating rafts is pepper plants. I've managed to kill 3 types of Bell Peppers, Jalapeno Peppers, and Cayenne Peppers in my floating rafts. I thought tomatos would be difficult, but they seem to be doing fine.