PDA

View Full Version : Styrofoam Lid?

wh33t
08-29-2011, 08:26 AM
Hey guys,

Another quick question. I've got a 4x8 flood and drain space and I am in need of a lid to house my net pots. I was thinking about getting 2x4 sheets of Styrofoam insulation panels to accomplish this. I figure Styrofoam wouldn't leech anything into the water (this is what people do "rafting" with right?) would be cheap and easy to cut into and also light in weight.

But I just like to check things over with you guys first ;)

badflash
08-29-2011, 06:24 PM
Works, but use the hard foam, not the white styro. Regular styro will water log after a bit.

wh33t
08-29-2011, 06:49 PM
So avoid the white stuff. Go for pink or blue? What about that ink stuff that's on them. Should I scrape that off?

JCO
08-29-2011, 07:15 PM
Don't worry about the ink...it won't leech into the water. :mrgreen:

davidstcldfl
08-30-2011, 04:45 AM
Works, but use the hard foam, not the white styro. Regular styro will water log after a bit.

So avoid the white stuff. Go for pink or blue? What about that ink stuff that's on them. Should I scrape that off?

Badflash is right. It will get water logged very easily. I wasn't sure, if your 'lid' would be in the water or just 'some kind of a cover' ...?
The 'regular' styrofoam, or EPS...has a pound rating. (Pounds per sq foot) Most of it sold at the home improvement stores is 1 pound. It's light weight and pourous, and it breaks very easy.
I've tried making rafts out of 1, 2, 2 1/2 and 3 pound EPS. (my rafts are 2 inches thick)The 3 pound is 'very' strong. It can sit in the water for a few months without being water logged.
I do paint the 'top' of the rafts to protect from UV's. I use the white (rubber) roof coating for mobile homes. Others use exterior latex house paint.

I ordered it through HD supply/white cap. I bought 'virgin' foam. There is no fire retardant or bug poisons in it.
Most AP folks use the Dow board...the blue stuff. I was told it has fire retardant in it. 'Do not' use the pink stuff, I was told it has both, fire retardant and bug poison.

Looking forward to seeing some pictures... :D

wh33t
08-30-2011, 11:48 AM

Badflash is right. It will get water logged very easily. I wasn't sure, if your 'lid' would be in the water or just 'some kind of a cover' ...?
The 'regular' styrofoam, or EPS...has a pound rating. (Pounds per sq foot) Most of it sold at the home improvement stores is 1 pound. It's light weight and pourous, and it breaks very easy.
I've tried making rafts out of 1, 2, 2 1/2 and 3 pound EPS. (my rafts are 2 inches thick)The 3 pound is 'very' strong. It can sit in the water for a few months without being water logged.
I do paint the 'top' of the rafts to protect from UV's. I use the white (rubber) roof coating for mobile homes. Others use exterior latex house paint.

I ordered it through HD supply/white cap. I bought 'virgin' foam. There is no fire retardant or bug poisons in it.
Most AP folks use the Dow board...the blue stuff. I was told it has fire retardant in it. 'Do not' use the pink stuff, I was told it has both, fire retardant and bug poison.

Looking forward to seeing some pictures... :D

Damn, I just bought the pink stuff! There was no blue stuff available to me. Lots of the white stuff though.

I went with 1" for my rafts (which aren't actually rafts lol) and with 3/4" for my aquarium lid (just to keep humidity and splashes down. Also one of my fish has been rather jumpy lately. I don't want him to fly out.

So for my rafts which aren't actually rafts, they will sit suspended 2-3" above the highest water line and will house suspended net pots. They will be supported by a PVC pipe system that sits in the flood table :D

I'm pretty bad at photo logging. But I should really take some photos.

badflash
08-30-2011, 03:40 PM
If you get the stuff with the metal foil backing and put it foil side up you get automatic protection from the UV. The tight cells don't waterlog.

urbanfarmer
08-30-2011, 05:20 PM
If you get the stuff with the metal foil backing and put it foil side up you get automatic protection from the UV. The tight cells don't waterlog.
OH I AM SO DUMB. DUH!

Every time this topic comes up I try to think of a safe way to UV protect the top... ALUMINUM FOIL. Any will do!!! Hot glue or silicon it to the top. It should last forever! :-D I'm sure some paints are safe, but I just can't trust it and I don't want to spend the time going through the MSDS and other ingredients to figure it out. Too much research and it costs more anyway...

I have white 2 inch foam and it is waterlogged. Not sure why this matters. It seems stronger than when I bought it to be honest with you guys. I think the water fills the space with the air and holds it together better through hydrogen bonds. It is heavier, but feels stronger! I gently punched it as a test and it is definitely stronger feeling.

davidstcldfl
08-31-2011, 04:59 AM
I'm pretty sure the foiled insulation also has bug poisin...to keep roaches out of walls... :roll:

As far as water logged...it just sits a little lower in the water.... :D