PDA

View Full Version : new to Aquaponics

flienlow
08-25-2011, 07:43 PM
Hi all-

Ever since the economic down turn and few natural disasters, it has been on my mind to grow my own food. I mean, how hard can it be? Well, after 3 years of trying, I realize that I am not very good at it at all. In a quest to learn more by scowering youtube. I found aquaponics and have been completely facinated by it ever since.

one big question I have is: Will Aquaponics work in a Seattle climate? from the videos I have watched it appears to work well in Austrailia, and California, but what about cloudy Seattle?

Another question I have is. Where can I learn how to raise trout? -this seems to be the best fish for this enviornment.

Finally: Where can learn how to measure PH levels ect for water quality?

What i have done so far was to go to home depot and buy some 5 gallon buckets and a pump. I am working on making my own test system out of a 18 gallon rope bucket and 3- 5gallon buckets. If nothing else my 4y/o likes playing in the water :)

urbanfarmer
08-25-2011, 08:36 PM
WELCOME!

It will work in any climate.

Buy a pH kit, it comes with instructions.

You Tube or ask forum members about raising the fish.

JCO
08-25-2011, 11:19 PM
Welcome to the show....pull up an easy chair, relax and stay awhile. New voices are always a welcome addition to our family..! Whatever questions you have on you mind, this is the place to get the answers so pick a topic of your interest and start your own thread and Enjoy. :mrgreen:

davidstcldfl
08-26-2011, 03:18 AM
Hi flienlow... :)
Actually, most of us like playing in the water .... :lol:

cedarswamp
08-26-2011, 12:50 PM
Welcome to the forum. :)

rfeiller
08-27-2011, 08:42 AM
the "secret" to farming is to relax, be patient, and watch what you are raising or growing and try to respond to those needs. there is no such thing as a "green thumb" the most applicable signiture quote on this forum and says it best is Badflash's "the best fertilizer is a farmer's shadow" :D

as far as trout, personally i go to the commercial fisheries and listen to what they have to say, they are by far the most qualified to answer your trout questions. one thing i do know about trout is you need a herd of them, not just a couple they will kill each other.

the best farming areas in the San Francisco Bay area are the fogged in cold beach areas such as Half Moon Bay, Watsonville, Salinas, etc. veggies do not need to be burned by the sun everyday to do well.

and welcome to our forum where we constantly try to reinvent the wheel, enjoy! :)

urbanfarmer
08-27-2011, 10:29 AM
AND REMEMBER: A farmer doesn't farm the crops... a farmer farms the SOIL. Because if you take care of the soil the plants just grow no matter what. In aquaponics we manage the water and growing medium which serves the function of soil just fine. What we manage here are the microorganisms in our "soil". If the bacteria and water quality for the bacteria is healthy, we get great plants. If not, EVERYTHING DIES. Simple! :-D