PDA

View Full Version : Representative chemical species in soil solutions

urbanfarmer
08-24-2011, 07:59 PM
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6210/6078673590_c1dd58625e_z.jpg

:ugeek:

rfeiller
08-25-2011, 07:34 AM
thanks for the info, now where did i put my chem books? :-)

urbanfarmer
08-25-2011, 10:00 AM
We just went over this in class and I said, "BY GOD, WHY HAVEN'T I COME ACROSS THIS INFORMATION BEFORE?!??" It makes so much more sense and helps us who are pioneers better design our systems (instead of that simple chart with the pH and the nutrients on a scale). ENJOY! :ugeek:

sirtoggle
08-25-2011, 01:06 PM
Some of your stuff make my eyes cross XD

davidstcldfl
08-25-2011, 07:06 PM
I still like the KISS chart better....
http://i931.photobucket.com/albums/ad157/davidstcldfl/nutrient-ph-range.jpg

Some of your stuff make my eyes cross XD
Some of his stuff makes my eyes :roll: ..... :lol: :P

urbanfarmer
08-25-2011, 08:36 PM
David... :lol:

IDK, I wish I had this information earlier this year. The water chemistry in AP systems are too complicated to understand from that chart, and that chart is not ALWAYS right and the table above starts to show you that... but, meh, the simple chart is good too!

davidstcldfl
08-26-2011, 03:26 AM
that chart is not ALWAYS right

It's a shame, that there is no one that can make a graph that is right...... :?

urbanfarmer
08-26-2011, 10:58 AM
Well, I guess technically it could be right if it was titled "General Availability of Nutrients at Varying pH" because the title would in itself suggest it's not always right! :-D

cedarswamp
08-26-2011, 11:25 AM
That chart was originally from hydroponics field which use as nutrients inorganic salts, while the majority of our nutes are organic and readily available to the plants. Nutrient defieciencies we experience are because the nutrients aren't present or if present precipitate out of solution quickly. IMHO

urbanfarmer
08-26-2011, 02:58 PM
That chart was originally from hydroponics field which use as nutrients inorganic salts, while the majority of our nutes are organic and readily available to the plants. Nutrient defieciencies we experience are because the nutrients aren't present or if present precipitate out of solution quickly. IMHO
No, in nature certain nutrients are almost always inorganic when available to the plant and must be inorganic to be available to the plant. :mrgreen: Oh these classes are eye opening!

For example potassium.

TV, the media, marketing and advertising campaigns from food companies, have sold us on these "organic" concepts that are incorrect except from a fundamentally philosophical perspective that promotes sustainability. I'm not sure why I didn't realize that before... I kinda just bought into it as well, but that's what life is for live and learn! :-D

cedarswamp
08-26-2011, 03:35 PM
No, in nature certain nutrients are almost always inorganic when available to the plant and must be inorganic to be available to the plant. :mrgreen: Oh these classes are eye opening!

For example potassium.

TV, the media, marketing and advertising campaigns from food companies, have sold us on these "organic" concepts that are incorrect except from a fundamentally philosophical perspective that promotes sustainability. I'm not sure why I didn't realize that before... I kinda just bought into it as well, but that's what life is for live and learn! :-D

Hmmmm.....I wonder where all that K in Maxicrop comes from? 1-0-4

I did say IMHO.

urbanfarmer
08-26-2011, 04:02 PM
:-D no problem I'm just sharing buddy! This is all new to me and it's a TON of information. My head is SPINNING!!!!!

davidstcldfl
08-27-2011, 05:24 AM
that chart is not ALWAYS right

It's a shame, that there is no one that can make a graph that is right...... :?
That was a challenge UF...... :idea:

Well, I guess technically it could be right if.......
That's a response I'd expect from the 'rulership' in DC.... :roll:

I see a class project in the making UF...... :P :lol:

davidstcldfl
08-27-2011, 05:29 AM

From the salt on the seaweed...?...... :lol: :P

rfeiller
08-27-2011, 08:27 AM
the problem in "research" the research is always done from the researcher's perspective, application, or motivational force. oh i forgot the part about needing to get a degree. :D

davidstcldfl
08-27-2011, 08:44 AM
Great points rfiller.... :D

urbanfarmer
08-27-2011, 10:23 AM
the problem in "research" the research is always done from the researcher's perspective, application, or motivational force. oh i forgot the part about needing to get a degree. :D
Well, that's why at the County Extension we only use research to show residents from sources that are "unbias" in other words public Universities, certain non-profit organizations, etc.

You definitely don't NEED a degree to do research. Look through the posted journals at "Aquaponics Journal" you'll see some of the guys that do and publish research don't have a relevant degree!!! What a perfect example... :lol: :lol: :lol:

urbanfarmer
08-27-2011, 10:25 AM
Rooftop Aquaponics in Jerusalem
Researchers Tim Evans (M.A. Development Studies), Kyle Petrie (B.A. Agricultural Science) and Chris Somerville (B.A. Natural sciences; M.A Development Studies)...
Okay, so ONE guy has a agricultural degree, but not only is it undergrad (in other words limited in scope and depth), but he formally knows nothing about aquaculture and soil and water science!!! The other 2 guys know nothing as far as the science of aquaponics! So you see, research is for everyone!

cedarswamp
08-27-2011, 10:31 AM

From the salt on the seaweed...?...... :lol: :P

Seasalt is 30% sodium and only 1% potasium...wasn't there a thread on salt water aquaponics? :lol:

davidstcldfl
08-27-2011, 03:34 PM
I found this about the powdered form of Maxi-crop. Looks like it has lots of potassium.....

Here's an analysis at .5, 1, 2.5 & 5 tsp, respectively, per gallon of water:

pH
Conductivity (mS)
Alkalinity (ppm)
Nitrate-Nitrogen (ppm)
Phosphorus (ppm)
Potassium (ppm)
Calcium (ppm)
Magnesium (ppm)
Zinc (ppm)
Copper (ppm)
Iron (ppm)

urbanfarmer
08-27-2011, 07:48 PM
OKAY, GREAT... BUT WHAT DOES IT TASTE LIKE?

rfeiller
08-27-2011, 07:51 PM
quite good actually when sprinkled on your eggs in the morning :)

davidstcldfl
08-28-2011, 12:13 PM
quite good actually when sprinkled on your eggs in the morning :)
:lol: