PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Philadelphia

michaelnighttime
08-24-2011, 07:06 AM
A month away from moving into my own loft apartment in Philadelphia, PA.
Obsessed with the idea of being able to create an indoor micro-aquaponic system to supplement my food supply with homegrown fish and veggies. Will be around here a lot in the coming months as I plan out, build, and attempt to sustain a working system inside my new apartment. Always about balancing engineering, aesthetics, environmental awareness, and social responsibility. Also can't wait for yummy homegrown home-cooked meals!

urbanfarmer
08-24-2011, 06:49 PM
Greetings Earthling, and welcome to the addiction! :mrgreen:

davidstcldfl
08-25-2011, 04:01 AM
Hi... :D ...welcome.

JCO
08-25-2011, 05:14 AM
Welcome to the show....pull up an easy chair, relax and stay awhile. New voices are always a welcome addition to our family..! Whatever questions you have on you mind, this is the place to get the answers so pick a topic of your interest and start your own thread and Enjoy. :mrgreen:

rfeiller
08-25-2011, 07:32 AM
welcome to our forum

SarahCKG
09-28-2011, 02:50 AM
How's the new apartment aquaponics going? I am also in Philly and VERY interested to know...

blomadam
10-05-2011, 08:24 PM
Hi,
I'm also looking to set up a system in Philly. Do you have a fancy design to fit into (what I imagine is) a tight loft?

urbanfarmer
10-05-2011, 10:32 PM
Hi,
I'm also looking to set up a system in Philly. Do you have a fancy design to fit into (what I imagine is) a tight loft?
Of course! You can start with a simple 10 gallon aquarium tank and/or some other containers. Any way you can think it up, you can make it work!

keith_r
10-06-2011, 05:39 AM
start with at least a 55 gallon tank, some sturdy shelving, a couple growbeds, and a sump

blomadam
10-06-2011, 05:53 AM
I had meant the question for the original poster to discuss their design. I didn't want to turn this thread into talking about my setup. I made a new thread for that: New to Aquaponics, first design overview (http://www.diyaquaponics.com/forum/showthread.php?1192-New-to-Aquaponics-first-design-overview)

It's a long post, but I am happy to see people so eager to help a newbie like me even when I didn't mean to ask.

PhillyAquaponics
03-06-2013, 07:13 PM
Hey Everyone,
I don't know if anyone on this thread still checks it, but I am also living in Philly, and I have been growing vegetables using a low-tech DIY aquaponic system in my small studio apartment for the past 2 years.
I post videos on my Youtube channel about it...check it out for some ideas:
http://www.youtube.com/user/PhillyAquaponics

Hope this helps,
-J

jackalope
03-07-2013, 08:33 AM
Welcome to the Forum! I especially liked the info about the Anisakis parasite - as you said, another good reason to eat farm-raised fish (provided they are raised in a closed system. I know that a lot of the farm-raised salmon are raised in the ocean ----- with the radiation from Japan's nuke plants, oil spills, trash and effluent from ships and cities like New York City who dump their trash in our oceans - I don't eat fish that come from the ocean .... IF I can help it :!: