PDA

View Full Version : PVC connector help! Grrr.

wh33t
08-23-2011, 01:40 PM
Hey guys,

I just drove around everywhere in my city looking for some thru hole bulk head fittings like the ones I see in all of the DIY Aquaponics videos and I can't seem to find em.

Can I please get some clarification on what parts people are using to make through there through hole connections and where exactly are you getting them?

urbanfarmer
08-23-2011, 01:50 PM
Hmm... do you mean how does one get the PVC pipe through the plastic container without it leaking?

wh33t
08-23-2011, 02:10 PM
Hmm... do you mean how does one get the PVC pipe through the plastic container without it leaking?

Sure ;)

I know people use thru hull fittings of some sort, and I figured I wanted to get the ones that had inner threads on it so you could screw in different length upstands and such. But no plumbing store I went to has ever heard of that.

Which ones do you use?

cedarswamp
08-23-2011, 03:30 PM
Use a male adapter and a female adapter from the electrical dept at HD with a dab of silicon.

urbanfarmer
08-23-2011, 05:30 PM
I, too, use regular PVC male/female adapters but with O-rings. I don't like sealing it up with something. I have tried everything from silicon to hot glue to welding the plastic (hey I needed an excuse to buy the plastic welder from HF). The O-rings seem to work really great, but it depends on the container. Anything that's not flat and drilled neatly can cause problems.

I think you are looking for those universal sealer things they sell on the Internet for a fraction of the price of bulk head fittings. I believe Ace Hardwares usually carry them also. I can't remember the exact name offhand, but I'm sure someone on here will! :-D

wh33t
08-23-2011, 06:18 PM
I, too, use regular PVC male/female adapters but with O-rings. I don't like sealing it up with something. I have tried everything from silicon to hot glue to welding the plastic (hey I needed an excuse to buy the plastic welder from HF). The O-rings seem to work really great, but it depends on the container. Anything that's not flat and drilled neatly can cause problems.

I think you are looking for those universal sealer things they sell on the Internet for a fraction of the price of bulk head fittings. I believe Ace Hardwares usually carry them also. I can't remember the exact name offhand, but I'm sure someone on here will! :-D

Would you mind linking me one of those? I'm not exactly sure what you are referring too. Also there is no Ace hardware where I live.

I have actually used the electrical conduit joiners but I used pvc cement on them and now I realize I have so many containers that I can't re-use :(

I considered using silicone but I never thought of o-rings. Where did you purchase the o-rings? Do they come in all shapes and sizes?

urbanfarmer
08-23-2011, 07:25 PM
Ask a sales person where they are at your store. They should come in a large array of sizes and thickness. It makes the configuration quite reusable.

cedarswamp
08-23-2011, 07:28 PM
Uniseals
http://www.aussieglobe.com/index.htm

urbanfarmer
08-23-2011, 07:51 PM
THAT'S THE ONE!!! GOOD CATCH!!! :-D

davidstcldfl
08-23-2011, 11:36 PM
Aquatic-eco has several kinds of bulkheads...the least costly are the 'economy' ones. They are made from ABS plastic, the pvc ones cost more.
They have 'up to' 2 inch size, in the 'economy', and they are $7.44 each.
http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories ... gs-Economy (http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories/2985/Bulkhead-Fittings-Economy)

I've used uni-seals and they work. (sometimes they leak a little...... on something with a thin wall, like a rubbermaid storage bin)
The bigger the pipe, the more of a pain it is to get the pvc through the uni-seal. Beveling the end of the pipe and using some rubbing alcohol, helps get it through easier.
However, for 2 inch pvc, I'd rather spend the extra 2 bucks for the economy bulkhead, then fight with a uni-seal.

bsfman
08-24-2011, 04:23 AM
Ask a sales person where they are at your store. They should come in a large array of sizes and thickness. It makes the configuration quite reusable.

I use the electrical conduit connectors, but can't always find the size O-rings I need. Home Depot sells rubber gasket material (comes in a package of two 6" or so red rubber squares). Takes just a minute to use kitchen scissors to cut out your own O-rings and they work like a champ.

wh33t
08-24-2011, 06:29 PM

I use the electrical conduit connectors, but can't always find the size O-rings I need. Home Depot sells rubber gasket material (comes in a package of two 6" or so red rubber squares). Takes just a minute to use kitchen scissors to cut out your own O-rings and they work like a champ.

That's a great idea as well! I'm so excited to do this :D

urbanfarmer
08-24-2011, 06:47 PM
Nice! GREAT IDEA :-D