PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada

stevie.bease
08-17-2011, 12:22 PM
Hey all,

This forum looks like a wonderful place to get good advice for newbies to aquaponics like me!

I'm looking to start up a small aquaponics system in my already established leento greenhouse with 2 large 250gallon IBCs, It's at times all I can think of!

Another tough part of getting this system up for me is getting fish! I've looked everywhere and it's tough! I would love to grow tilapia but it's tough to get out here. Any advice on that? or other fish to grow?

The plan right now is to have the two grow beds inside the greenhouse with the IBCs in the garage holding it up, connected with plumbing. Is this a good idea? it will keep the fish out of the sun, reduce evaporation, and won't keep the water too hot. The grow beds on the other side (in the greenhouse), will get plenty of sun and heat. Thoughts? Concerns?

Living in Canada, the winter here is rough, should i shut down operations in the winter, and just start fish in the beginning of spring, when things warm up? Thoughts, plans from winter-environments?

Thanks!

Stephen

davidstcldfl
08-17-2011, 03:43 PM
Hi Stephen, welcome to the addiction...er..ah...I mean the forum... :lol:
Can you start a thread in backyard systems.....and post a few pictures of the green house and gargage ? Maybe post some more info, like sizes of the green house, garage, ect.

urbanfarmer
08-17-2011, 04:45 PM
Greetings Earthling, and welcome! :mrgreen:

JCO
08-18-2011, 08:04 PM
Welcome to the show....pull up an easy chair, relax and stay awhile. New voices are always a welcome addition to our family..! Whatever questions you have on you mind, this is the place to get the answers so pick a topic of your interest and start your own thread and Enjoy. Please go to your profile and put in your city and state/country where you live. There may be other members close by. :mrgreen:

rfeiller
08-25-2011, 07:38 AM
welcome to our forum

keith_r
08-26-2011, 08:30 AM
tilapia need to be kept in the 80's for best growth, you might get a short season out of them, and be able to keep some breeding fish indoors over the winter..
or look for pond stocking in your area for cool water species.. you should be able to get yellow perch, trout, bluegill, catfish, or others in your area, these would live through the winter, but not grow much during that time. some people use ornamentals as well, like goldfish and koi

cedarswamp
08-26-2011, 12:44 PM
Welcome to the forum. :)