PDA

View Full Version : Hi from Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada

highvoltagerob
08-08-2011, 05:43 PM
Hi everybody,
I`ve been interested in aquaponics for a couple years, I currently am running a small balcony ebb & flow system with goldfish and a small bed of veggies and an indoor tank with tropical fish and houseplants. However I just bought some land to build a house and am planning to build a larger system with trout and hopefully enough vegetables and fruit for myself and friends.

I have an aquaculture technician diploma and have worked mainly with salmon in feshwater and salt, I`ve also worked a little with trout, arctic char and sturgeon. I`ve grown plants in dirt for years but never thought of aquaponics as an option. But I`ve been doing a lot of research and have convinced myself that it is going to be a major part of food production in the not so distant future. I`m hoping that my trial next year or 2 goes well and may even be able to make some money at it.

Who wouldn`t want fresh, local, organic fish and vegetables raised in an enviromentally responsible way?

I hope to learn from everyone here!

JCO
08-08-2011, 07:41 PM
Welcome to the show....pull up an easy chair, relax and stay awhile. New voices are always a welcome addition to our family..! Whatever questions you have on you mind, this is the place to get the answers so pick a topic of your interest and start your own thread and Enjoy. :mrgreen:

urbanfarmer
08-09-2011, 06:50 AM
Greetings Earthling, and welcome! :mrgreen:

davidstcldfl
08-09-2011, 07:15 AM
Hi highvoltagerob, Welcome to the forum.... :D

stevie.bease
08-17-2011, 01:02 PM
Hey Welcome!

Do you shut your aquaponic system down during the winter? and what type of fish are you growing?

highvoltagerob
08-18-2011, 01:52 PM
Hey Welcome!

Do you shut your aquaponic system down during the winter? and what type of fish are you growing?

Hey,

I am going to be moving it inside for the winter to grow some salad greens under lights, it is fairly small and will easily fit in my spare bedroom. I currenty have just goldfish at the moment. I would like to find some blue tilapia for next year, but I am not having any luck finding any. Have you found any suppliers for tilapia in Canada?

Jeremiah15
09-16-2011, 10:11 AM
Hey highvoltagerob,

I am just outside of Saint John (NB). Have you found a source for Tilapia or trout in Canada yet?

Jonathan