PDA

View Full Version : tilapia losing scales, turning gray and dying

chrisfoerst
07-24-2011, 01:21 PM
Thanks to everyone who helped give advice for the exhibit. It turned out great and I hope to post some pics soon. I recently came back from being out of the country for more than a month. Family has been helping me to take care of my tilapia but I am very concerned that I am about to lose all of them. In the past week, 4 have died. They lose a lot of their scales and turn a dark grayish color and become very lethargic. Any idea of what they could have? My tank is completely cycled.

rfeiller
07-24-2011, 03:50 PM
my response to this type of situation is a complete water change. the parameters that you are able to monitor are minimal. there is a lot more that affects or infects the fish that without the proper lab equipment you have no idea what it is. it could be some chemical used in cleaning the room that was picked up by the pump and circulated throughout the water, could be bacterial, viral, insecticides, fungal, parasitic, such as gill flukes. but by changing the water you have removed the outside of the fish's bodies problems. hope this helps. if you are not still going to eat them use Amquel to condition the replacement water. folks are using ascorbic acid to neutralize chlorimines, i've never tried it.

chrisfoerst
07-24-2011, 08:33 PM
Ok, that's what I'll do tomorrow. There's no need to do anything to the grow beds, correct? Thanks for the response.

rfeiller
07-24-2011, 09:43 PM
correct

urbanfarmer
07-24-2011, 11:04 PM
I think they're sick.

davidstcldfl
07-25-2011, 04:33 AM
Wow,sorry to hear that Chris.... :cry:

Try some salt in your system......1 or 2 ppm.....1 kilogram to 1000 L of water makes 1 ppm. Sorry, I don't remeber the US equivelant.
You may already know (?) ...don't use salt with iodine or that has anti-caking agents in it.

Good luck... :D

@ Urbanfarmer.... :roll: ..... :lol:

chrisfoerst
07-25-2011, 08:41 AM
David,

Do you recommend a complete water change as well and then adding the salt or should I just try the salt first? Is sea salt a good option?

urbanfarmer
07-25-2011, 01:16 PM
Wow,sorry to hear that Chris.... :cry:

Try some salt in your system......1 or 2 ppm.....1 kilogram to 1000 L of water makes 1 ppm. Sorry, I don't remeber the US equivelant.
You may already know (?) ...don't use salt with iodine or that has anti-caking agents in it.

Good luck... :D

@ Urbanfarmer.... :roll: ..... :lol:
:mrgreen:

BTW, do you mean salt it at 1 or 2 PPM or PPT? I didn't think it had any effect at PPM (and I don't think I have hands small enough to salt a small system to that proportion, tee hee).

If it is PPT, then add the salt over time. The fish need to adjust to the salt. They CAN do it, they just need to do it over time. Any time frame you have in mind should be fine. 2-3 days or so. Long is better but won't matter much in this case.

If it is PPM, then it doesn't matter the fish can handle it (tilapia are euryhaline and won't even react to it physiologically at that low concentration).

davidstcldfl
07-25-2011, 03:28 PM
I agree with rfeiller.
Can you pre-treat all your new water (adjust ph,treat for chlorine/chloromines, match the water tempt ) before adding ? Maybe you could at least do a 50% water change, a day or two apart.
I'd add salt now, and as you you change the water. Sea salt is good. However, it may cost a little more.

I gave the correct ratio...1 kg:1000 L of water...or.. 1 gram:1 liter of water...(dang metric fish pooh, who decided to measure with 'tens'... :roll:)
UF is right, I wrote PPM, it should be PPT..... 'parts per thousand'

urbanfarmer
07-25-2011, 04:40 PM
I agree with rfeiller.
Can you pre-treat all your new water (adjust ph,treat for chlorine/chloromines, match the water tempt ) before adding ? Maybe you could at least do a 50% water change, a day or two apart.
I'd add salt now, and as you you change the water. Sea salt is good. However, it may cost a little more.

I gave the correct ratio...1 kg:1000 L of water...or.. 1 gram:1 liter of water...(dang metric fish pooh, who decided to measure with 'tens'... :roll:)
UF is right, I wrote PPM, it should be PPT..... 'parts per thousands'
OOPS, my eye skimmed over the ratio. I would have understood but darn this headache... 1 gram per 1 Liter is 1 PPT (parts per thousand). That's why I was asking because it's usually in PPT since it has to be in pretty high concentration. The sea is about 35 PPT or 35000 PPM or 3.5% salinity. I believe salt baths for fish disease are suggested around 1 to 4 PPT, but please reference the documentation on that because I could very well be wrong. Tilapia are special though and won't care about those variations, but other fish will definitely care.

chrisfoerst
07-27-2011, 03:00 PM
So, I did a partial water change and cleaned up things as well as I could. I added some sea salt but not very much. (Maybe 4 teaspoons or so). When I did a rough calculation for my 75 gallon tank, it seems as though I should add 44 teaspoons of salt??? But, that seems like way too much. Where does all this salt go anyway. Do the fish and plants absorb it or do you have to do another water change again?

Also, for anyone who's interested, I posted a few photos of the fish.taco.ponic exhibition on my website at http://christinefoerster.com/

davidstcldfl
07-28-2011, 03:58 AM
Hope things get better for your fish... :D

The folks 'down under' run 1 to 2 PPT on a regular basis. They use a refractometer to test for the salinity. I remember they did say, that plants use it up eventually.
I remeber they said, plants like strawberries and peas don't like it.

1 gram of salt: liter of water makes 1 PPT.
75 gals... aprox 289 liters
289 grams ...aprox 10 oz of salt

LOL....I thought 'fish tacos' was just an unusual name, to catch the eye and make people wonder....? But you really meant 'tacos' , as in, let's eat some... :lol:
We need a 'smile face' that is licking it's lips... :D

urbanfarmer
07-28-2011, 06:47 AM
Yes, the plants will use up the sodium in place of the potassium.

I had Alaskan fish tacos at a restaurant once. They were pretty good!

chrisfoerst
07-28-2011, 09:10 AM
Ok, thanks for the clarification and, yes, my fish seem to be doing better now.