PDA

View Full Version : New Guy in Iowa

Bioritize
07-19-2011, 12:31 PM
[youtube:mml3w9ds]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3lK7bjeJJ8[/youtube:mml3w9ds]

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to post about my first system. Here is a video I made about the system,
Just introduced a few small fish today to help get the system setup. I believe I am going to get blue or white nile tilapia. I have a 600 watt HPS light that I am going to use and run on a lower setting at first.

Anyway, I am open to suggestions and comments. I am not sold on my pre-filter idea at least until I figure out a overflow system.

Thanks,

davidstcldfl
07-19-2011, 01:35 PM
Hi Bioritize, welcome to the forum... :D
You did read the warning about this being addictive....?.... :P

rfeiller
07-19-2011, 02:26 PM
David wait until he is surrounded with pieces of equipment, fish and seedlings, then kinda mention it to him so he won't quit an has to keep coming back for ideas! ;)

Oh well since you already let the cat out of the bag, welcome to the forum bioritizie :D

JCO
07-19-2011, 03:10 PM
Welcome to the show....pull up an easy chair, relax and stay awhile. New voices are always a welcome addition to our family..! Whatever questions you have on you mind, this is the place to get the answers so pick a topic of your interest and start your own thread and Enjoy. Please go to your profile and put in the city and state where you live. There might be other members close to you. :mrgreen:

urbanfarmer
07-19-2011, 04:17 PM
Greetings Earthling, and welcome! :mrgreen:

Really great system! You have discovered some of the principles of physics that are relevant to aquaponics through hands on experience. That's a really great video. Keep up the good work! :-D

bsfman
07-19-2011, 06:07 PM
Very cool!

What fish will you stock and what will you grow?

Bioritize
07-19-2011, 08:32 PM
Hey Guys,

I am thinking of stocking either blue or white Nile Tilapia. I have switched the orange bucket around to eliminate a possible failure point, I noticed that when the pump would cycle the rocks would shift and settle and get progressively more compact and therefore stopping the first white bucket from siphoning.

This way I am still aerating the water as it falls through the rock.

I am going to order 25 male and female mixed, I think with the extra filtration the system should be able to handle this.

Anyway thanks for the input, I am rather addicted already.

JCO
07-19-2011, 09:48 PM
OK, time to pick a topic of your interest and start your own thread and Enjoy. Looks like you will be around for awhile, so don't forget that the members of this forum are photo hogs...they love them like a pig loves slop...UH....I guess I could have said it differently, however at least it is accurately descriptive :!: :shock: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

rfeiller
07-20-2011, 07:00 AM
So eloquent JCO :lol:

cedarswamp
07-20-2011, 01:15 PM
Welcome to the forum. :)

Bioritize
07-21-2011, 01:10 AM
Hey Guys,

Couple questions about this setup and the water chemistry.

I just tested and here are the results, I have 4 small fish from my local aquarium store. They are not the feeder fish they are nice looking little guys.

Temp 71-75 degrees F
PH 6.8-7
Ammonia 4-8 ppm
Nitrites 0 ppm
Nitrates 20-40 ppm

Is this much ammonia normal this early in the test, it is not quite as dark as the 8 ppm. I am a bit suspicious about the nitrites being at 0 and the nitrates being at 20ish. Seems like I may have messed one of the tests up.

Anyway the fish seem to be happy they are moving and eating and swimming quickly in the currents. Let me know what you think.

JCO
07-21-2011, 05:25 AM
Please excuse me as it is not my intention to be rude, however "A PLACE TO SAY HELLO" is just that....a place to say hello and introduce yourself to the members of the forum and that's all. After you have done that, it's time for to you pick a topic of interest to you and start your own thread. Please do not make any more post in this thread. :mrgreen:

keith_r
07-21-2011, 05:38 AM
in the meatime, stop feeding, with am that high, it can be toxic to the fish, cause them stress, which in turn makes them vulnerable to disease/infection..
don't feed until am drops, test 2x to be sure