PDA

View Full Version : yellowing of cucumber leaves

mespe
07-17-2011, 07:58 AM
I forgot to plant cucumbers in the garden this year, but I did in the aquaponics. If I recall in the gqrden last year the leaves started turning yellow, same in aquaponics, whay is this?

davidstcldfl
07-18-2011, 06:49 AM
Mespe...try this, hope it helps.... :)
http://www.hbci.com/~wenonah/min-def/list.htm

Oliver
07-18-2011, 02:23 PM
Our yellowing leaf and cucumber problem was resolved by adding chelated iron and Potassium Hydroxide.

The iron can be obtained by using Maxicrop Liquid Seaweed Plus Iron.

Be careful with the Potassium Hydroxide as it will increase your pH. Go very slow with it.

Oliver

mespe
07-25-2011, 04:14 AM
here's a picture of what every cucumber ends up looking like

[attachment=0:2x3k63ax]bad cuke.JPG[/attachment:2x3k63ax]

keith_r
07-25-2011, 05:26 AM
looks like it wasn't pollinated.. have you tried hand pollinating with a small paint brush?

mespe
07-25-2011, 10:03 AM
looks like it wasn't pollinated.. have you tried hand pollinating with a small paint brush?
you know I thought the same thing, but with my bee hive 150 feet away, I do not understand how it wouldn't get polinated.

urbanfarmer
07-25-2011, 01:05 PM
Well unless you have a certified written notice from the QUEEN that they will offer their regal services... then it's really all guess work. Remember, always get stamped and sealed notice of work from her highness, The QUEEN BEE.

LOL, I'm sure you know this too, but those cukes have male/female flowers that are separate (monoecious).

mespe
07-26-2011, 04:26 AM
Well unless you have a certified written notice from the QUEEN that they will offer their regal services... then it's really all guess work. Remember, always get stamped and sealed notice of work from her highness, The QUEEN BEE.

LOL, I'm sure you know this too, but those cukes have male/female flowers that are separate (monoecious).

I checked on the Queens work yesterday, it looks like the honey will arrive on Friday, can't wait. I sis not know that cukes had both male and female flowers, that's a new one. It does have alot of flowers, but every cuke has shriveled up and looks like the picture. :(

cedarswamp
07-26-2011, 03:12 PM
High heat can causes problems with many vegetables fruit set, cucumbers being one of them. Cukes tend to set mostly male flowers when temps climb into the upper 90's. Been sorta HOT in Ohio lately huh? :D

edit: But on second thought if ya got tiny cukes ya got female flowers....hmmmm? You got any flowers without tiny cukes?

mespe
07-27-2011, 07:33 AM
Yesterday I looked at the cukes again and some have made it past the stage pictured. So I guess maybe non polination is the answer.

Finally got the first tomatoe from the garden, seems like tomatoes are really late this year. Have had plenty of zucchini.