PDA

View Full Version : Green moss

mbrown
07-15-2011, 05:26 PM
Quick question, I hope it has an easy solution. How do I get all the green moss out of my system, or do I want it out? It is plugging up my lines and pump. Any suggestions? I didn't have anything like it in my system until it got hot, then my water went cloudy and green moss grew everywhere. HELP :shock: :(

rfeiller
07-15-2011, 08:17 PM
algae requires sunlight or a light source, white pvc in the sun will form algae on the inside the sun can penatrate the plastic, so it is best to wrap it too.

mbrown
07-16-2011, 06:47 AM
My fish. :D

rfeiller
07-16-2011, 10:38 AM
i failed to mention that the algae is using up your nutrients, it will compete with you plants for food.

mbrown
07-16-2011, 04:24 PM
I have noticed my plants looking kinda bad. What can I use to get rid of it other than just covering everything up?

rfeiller
07-16-2011, 07:01 PM
nice goldfish. i don't know how "safe" it is to use the algaecides, if you are growing edibles. i wouldn't.

keith_r
07-17-2011, 09:49 AM
most algaecides will kill all plants by interupting photosynthesis.. cover your ft, and make sure you have lots of air, it will clear up

Biggles1212
07-17-2011, 12:05 PM
Mozambique Tilpia will eat it. They eat anything.

mbrown
07-17-2011, 12:44 PM
I will have to c if I can find some Tilapia, haven't seen any around my fish stores. we have Pica, they eat it but they can't handle winter so I would have to bring them inside when it gets cold.

Biggles1212
07-17-2011, 12:55 PM
There most probably is a fish in your area that already is either a herbivore/omnivore. The Mozambique Tilapia is freely available in our rivers a few kilometers from home so stocking fish is merely a casual trip to the river with hooks and earthworms.

Nature has everything it needs in it so keep looking. Koi are supposed to eat veggies. Mine eat duck weed, penny wort, lemons, oranges and lettuce so far. Perhaps some sort of snail might impede the growth of algae.

It does pay to allow as little light as possible. Unfortunately for me my one tank is totally exposed and has long algae growing in it. I feed this to the Tilapia and have no problems. Oddly enough my system doesn't turn green anymore.

mbrown
07-27-2011, 06:36 PM
Well, I have been working allot of hours at work so my time here has suffered. My algae problem seems to have gone away. I purchased 2 Pica, they grew almost 2 inches in a week, they must have eaten well. Also I covered my tank during daylight hours and the algae just fell off and got stuck in my pump(another issue). my system keeps shutting down, :( the algae build up in my pipes is impeding the water flow and causes my pump to shut off. I am working on a way to clean them out. I did cover them up with pipe insulation, so far it hasn't cleaned them out. Next option is to run a snake through them(the pipe cleaning kind)lol. :lol: