PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Bsfman in Cape Coral, FL

bsfman
07-07-2011, 02:17 PM
Greetings!

Been lurking on the forums for quite some time and thought I would intro myself.

I have recently cobbled together a "frankenstein" system from odds and ends and have apparently successfully cycled it within the past three weeks. It's a 225 gallon system comprised of an old well aerator tank, a few old Rubbermaid trash barrels, some vinyl tubing and PVC fittings, three dozen 4 to 7 inch tilapia and some water hyacinth to extract nitrates pending construction of actual grow beds for growing something more appetizing than hyacinth.

I raise black soldier fly larvae and am feeding the tilapia BSF larvae and duckweed exclusively (no commercial feeds). I also raise earthworms in the BSF residue and feed the occasional worm treat to the tilapia as well. I use the liquid effluent from my BSF bins to serve as a fertilizer source for duckweed which I grow in small wading pools and rubbermaid totes.

I'll post more info on my set up in the appropriate section along with a video or video link. Meanwhile, I'm enjoying learning all I can from the more experienced folks on these forums.

rfeiller
07-07-2011, 02:27 PM
Welcome to our forum!

JCO
07-07-2011, 06:35 PM
Welcome to the show....pull up an easy chair, relax and stay awhile. New voices are always a welcome addition to our family..! Whatever questions you have on you mind, this is the place to get the answers. :mrgreen:

stucco
07-08-2011, 02:54 AM
Hello

urbanfarmer
07-08-2011, 02:23 PM
Greetings Earthling, and welcome! :mrgreen:

samtheman
07-11-2011, 06:23 AM
Another Floridian!!! Awesome :D :D :D