PDA

View Full Version : Tilapia Fry

samtheman
07-06-2011, 05:46 AM
I have one of the female tilapias on a separate tank with fry for about a week already. My question is when should I remove the female out of the tank? :?
She is not picking them up already and the fry are eating on their own

badflash
07-06-2011, 07:29 AM
Now! They will look like food real quick!

samtheman
07-06-2011, 09:23 AM
cool!!!! I'll do that when I get home from work 8-)

urbanfarmer
07-07-2011, 09:39 AM
Now! They will look like food real quick!
I second that motion!

bcotton
07-07-2011, 12:49 PM
I remove my female from the nursery tank the day she spits the fry out. Sometimes I have to kind of fiddle with her a little to get her to spit the last few out.

brian

samtheman
07-11-2011, 06:31 AM
I put the female in a separate tank because the male got too violent when I released her back in his tank.
I've read somewhere I think from Badflash that there is a way to remove one of the lips on the male to prevent the male from harming the female...I may have to research on this. :?

badflash
07-11-2011, 09:44 AM
I suggest you don't. Put 5 females with the male and all will be fine. The female should get a few weeks recovery time between brood if possible though.

My experience with lipped males is that they are weaker and don't breed as well.

bcotton
07-11-2011, 02:02 PM
Badflash,

not to derail the thread but i think it applies.

I was trying to breed in a 55 gallon tank and my male was a little over a lb in size. The whole tank was his territory and the females couldnt stay far enough out of his way. He killed one female overnight when one of the others was ready to lay eggs. Then after she laid eggs he wanted her out of his territory (the tank), too.

I only had 3 females in the tank. would it have been different with 5? Or are my fish just too big to bread in that small of a tank?

These are Mozambique, if that makes a difference.

brian