PDA

View Full Version : Finding Tilapia or Equivilent in Canada

scotteboy
06-18-2011, 12:55 PM
Hi. I am unable to find a dealer for Tilapia fingerlings in Canada. Something about not being able to tell the sex until they are grown, and how the chemicle to steralize them isnt allowed in Canada??...

I'm tapping into the vast collective brain;power of the forum............ any ideas?

urbanfarmer
06-18-2011, 02:00 PM
You can sex tilapia at a fairly young age and why are you trying to sterilize your fish?? You can always order the fish online, from ebay, and I believe there may be some of our members here that sell the fish as well.

keith_r
06-18-2011, 06:09 PM
do you have a plan to keep the water warm enough for tilapia?

davidstcldfl
06-19-2011, 04:33 AM
Hi scotteboy .... :)
keith_r made a very good point. I live in central fl ( palm trees swaying in the warm ocean breeze) ...and even I have to be concerned about keeping tilapia warm enough in the winter... :roll:

Sounds like you may have done some research already.
Here in the USA, each state has different 'regs' as to what fish we (AP) can and can't have. Some regs vary within the 'same state'....like California. Then there are other regs for commercial growers... :?
I suggest finding out what laws/regs applies to you in Canada. Then consider more of a local fish, unless you were planning an indoor system (?)
Good luck ! Hope to hear more as you make progress... :D